New pump installed at 2x the size??

seanhJuly 4, 2008

I have a 2,200 gallon koi pond that houses 16 fish, 2 turtles and two lilly plants.

The original 1/2 hp pump failed after only 1 year and the installer came out to replace it and in doing so replaced it with a 1hp pump (2x the original size).

Seemed like that would be okay, just circulating the water twice as fast? But, the fish have been acting strange since the replacement (not eating, clumping into a big group).

Can anyone tell me if the increase in size of pump is dangerous to the fish or if it is just causing for a differing environment they are just getting used to?

Your input and comments are appreciated.

thank you,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ccoombs1(7B SC)

you may be pushing water through the bio-filter too fast for the ammonia to be converted. They also may not be happy with the new currents. 1 hp pump seems awfully large for a 2200 gallon pond. How many gph is it flowing? And have you checked your water parameters...especially ammonia?

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 8:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eyecndiggit

The size of the motor doesn't necessarily mean it pumps more water but I guarantee you ONE thing. You are using up an ENORMOUS amount of electricity.
There are nice efficient pumps that deliver plenty of GPH and won't put you in the poor house.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
Growing family in a small house
I hope this forum is suitable for my request for advice....
townee
Invisible koi or dead?
I introduced 2 new koi - approx. 5" long - to...
ademink
HELP: Are other fish Helping or hurting her?
My water went toxic today. I dont know what happened....
otrasca
Having issues controlling PH in a small pond
I've got a small pond (150gal) with 8x 4-5 inch koi...
Newguy27
Crummy video of varmints
This is from the very bottom of the pond.
composthappens56
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™