My Koi is laying on it's side on the bottom of my pond

mfa606July 18, 2014

I have plants in my pond for shade for my koi and to give them something to hide under from racoons. My cover over my vent to the pump came off and the plants clogged the pump. The water has white foam and there are 3 dead koi and one large one laying on the bottom but still breathing. I have unclogged the pump and covered the entrance. I took the sick koi out and put it in another container with part pond water and some new water and an aerator. I treated the water for Chlorine. I's been a day and a half and the koi is still breathing but laying on it's side. What do I do?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Merry.Mary

Continue with the air! If your pond is healthy again (check ammonia since there were dead fish) I would put the koi back in if there's plenty of oxygen. Often, the stress of being in a smaller tubby tends to do them in. Foam on the water is usually a sign of protien, either from spawning, or the skin slime of dead koi (or anything dead, like frogs, etc)
Get some healthy bacteria and add it to the pond as well, to get everything back to a healthy balance.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 8:03PM
More Discussions
can anyone help me identify my koi?
Just trying to learn as much about them as I can. Like...
James Denton
New to koi
Hi folks, I just picked up an established koi pond...
james_vagabond
Hi Fin Sharks for Algae Control
Like everyone else, I struggled with spring time string/algae...
akarinz
Growing family in a small house
I hope this forum is suitable for my request for advice....
townee
barred owl ate 9 koi!
my koi are all gone! They've been in this pond for...
teeka0801
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™