Is PVC Bad?

sogno_dell_acqua(v6g CA)October 19, 2003

I will be constructing a mini aeroflo clone over the next few weeks. I have everything planned, but there is one problem: PVC Piping apparently gets brittle under UV light, and may be considered unclean for this application long term. I was planning to use PVC, but this has held me up.

I'm checking to see if I can get titanium dioxide coating to possibly fix this problem, as these guys have done (those systems range from $800-$2800). It shouldn't cost much... but is it worth the trouble?

I mean, how soon does PVC start messing up and getting brittle under HID lights? One month, or one year? Does it really promote disease?

Thanks for any reply.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sogno_dell_acqua(v6g CA)

When I wrote "these guys" I meant

Here is a link that might be useful: these guys

Bookmark   October 19, 2003 at 11:17PM
willardb3

Plain PVC is rated by NSF which means that it does nothing to foods, ie, nothing nasty comes from it.

If it doesn't hurt foods you eat, it's not likely to hurt your plants.

I've been growing with PVC drainage piping and PVC nutrient piping for 10 yrs now and I don't loose any plants to pathogens and the pipe is fine with 30w/square foot HPS and MH lamps.

Killing organics (fungus, bacteria) in nutrient water with H2O2 before you use it controls all these nasties very well.

I think "these guys" are selling snake oil.

Bookmark   October 21, 2003 at 9:16AM
sogno_dell_acqua(v6g CA)

Well, willard3, I did think those guys were a little loopy... thanks for letting me know the straight deal. I'm actually buying all the PVC goods - manifolds, fittings, tubes and spraylines - this weekend, with the light coming in later on, and I hope to be up and running in two weeks max. My buddy is setting me up with an inline fan and 5x5 ft tent, too, so this is gonna be super cool.

Thanks for the help!

Bookmark   October 22, 2003 at 7:20PM
wdelaney(nh, usa)

PVC does get brittle if it gets REALLY cold. Im not sure if the uv is going to be a problem. I use it for potato cannons and i havent had a problem except if its feezing out and i dop it. good luck.
Wes

Bookmark   October 28, 2003 at 9:12AM
markeyd123(5 NY)

PVC (PolyVinyl Chloride) will release Chlorine gas (which is deadly in high concentration) IF you burn or melt it. There should be no reason why you would do that, but I thought I would let you know just in case. If you need to make holes in your PVC do so with a drill as opposed to a soldering iron, or something . . .

Bookmark   February 20, 2004 at 1:53PM
hardy_transplant(z5a NY State)

The only problem I have read about with PVC is mentioned on page 64 of the current 2004 Peaceful Valley Garden Supply catlogue.

They say that the 6 mil polyethelene plastic greenhouse film they sell should not be used in direct contact with PVC, because the PVC will react with the poly film and weaken it.

I don't know what sort of wrapping or coating I would use. Something inexpensive, durable and weatherproof.

Bookmark   February 24, 2004 at 10:42AM
Matt621

All you have to do is paint the pipe. The problem is the sunlight on the exposed pvc. Once you paint it, the problem goes away.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flexible pvc pipe

Bookmark   July 1, 2004 at 5:16AM
More Discussions
Does Algae Grow Under Artificial Light
Hi there. We all know that algae grow under sunlight....
brianivander
New to hydroponics
I just found out about the idea of hydroponics after...
kesaber
Starting plants from grocery store cuttings
This is something that I have been playing around with...
Kyle A
Blooms dropping on Red Robin tomato in my Aerogarden, no new blooms.
I'm new to Hydroponics, I bought an Aerogarden a few...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Started the hydro garden
I watched Bobby grow long enough and got busy. I bought...
radrob
Sponsored Products
Boss Chairs Boss 60 x 24 Training Table w/ Castres in Mahogany
Beyond Stores
SunStopper Sun Haven 20 x 8-ft. Manual Retractable Awning - SUNHAV-20X8-MANUAL-D
Hayneedle
Long Light Suspension
Lightology
Bad Panda Wall Art
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
VIG Furniture - Modern Leather Sectional Sofa - VGEV-SP-2278
Great Furniture Deal
Tiffany Banquette - WHITE
$3,199.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™