Zone 5 Oakleaf sun needs

watervillegirlAugust 11, 2008

I have searched the forum and find a lot of mixed answers. I just bought a Snowflake hydrangea and want to know where you Zone 5 people have it planted full or partial sun. I have clay soil if that makes a difference.

I would like in full sun and want to know if it would do well there.

Thanks for all your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hayseedman(z5/6 Ct.)

One big problem for you, and me, is that our winters are harsh enough to kill back the top growth in many years, taking the flowering buds at the tips. This past year has been a most unusual one and we've had great flowering around here. But that's the exception.

My friend has a Snowflake and it's planted in dappled shade, and never really gets much direct sun and it is covered with blooms this year. There are other varieties of Oakleaf growing in full sun and they're doing great, too.

The bottom line seems to be that it's not too critical here in the North where you plant them.

Hay

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 9:18AM
watervillegirl

Thanks hayseedman. I am guessing that this should be winter protected? All of my others are new growth bloomers (ES, F&E,QF, LL) as I did not have much luck with any that bloom on old wood.

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 11:28AM
hayseedman(z5/6 Ct.)

I don't know how you'd winter protect a large one. Maybe you could protect one that's young for a while. The larger ones are pretty stiff and it'd be difficult, I'd imagine, trying to cover it or something.

I actually haven't had such good results with Endless Summer without somehow protecting it. It's a little better than Nikko, say, but still not a very reliable bloomer.

Blue Billow blooms consistently for me. Preziosa works sometimes.

The Paniculatas all do just fine.

Hay

Bookmark   August 14, 2008 at 12:40AM
More Discussions
Endless Summer Hydrangea Wont Bloom
Hi. I have 2 Endless Summer Hydrangea's. This is the...
emba129
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
I assume all is lost. ?
Deer have decimated almost all of my hydrangeas - probably...
luckyladyslipper
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™