Potting Bench in my Porch

paul_in_mn(4b)June 11, 2012

Just christened my new potting bench this past weekend. I've been collecting ideas for some time and spotted this one at HD store - prebuilt and sturdy. Measures 6' long and about 20" deep on work area and 35" tall. Assembly was fold legs down and rest the shelf in the leg notches.

It was unfinished, so I added a weatherproof semi-transparent stain and a couple coats of satin polyurethane to work surfaces. I was looking for a used single stainless steel sink to add, but came across this big stainless mixing bowl that was perfect for my purposes.

Last additions will be to add a curtain across the front that will hide the storage and a towel bar. Bench, bowl, stain and finishes were about $100.

17" bowl

1st results

Thanks for looking

Paul

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jan_on zone 5b

BRILLIANT! Every serious gardener should have an efficient and attractive place to work. You certainly do. Now we're all waiting to see your sewing skills when you design the curtain lol.
Jan

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 12:14PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Awesome! I have one but DH keeps piling stuff up on top of it and blocking it when he mows the lawn instead of putting the stuff away. argh. Mine isn't anywhere near as cool as yours though....

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 12:26PM
bernd ny zone5

This is looking great! All you need now is to build one of these garden huts with a little greenhouse attached, and move your bench there, to further your addiction. Your bench certainly beats my arrangement with potting on the lawn with some plastic underneath with all supplies in the garage.
Bernd

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 1:13PM
Moccasin(z9aMobileAL)

How cool! For $100 bucks total, you have a real winner.

I have a setup using the chaise lounge so I can sit down while working with the larger pots. And I don't have to pick them up high once they are full and watered. I use the dolly to roll them where they shall live.

However, once I get a nice covered shade structure, I plan on hanging out there. It is entirely too hot and uncomfortable to work in the sunshine outdoors from about now until late September.

You know, I hve one of those 17" stainless bowls, had to rescue it from my DH, he does not keep his objects as clean as I keep my tools. And I hate to have paint splattered on my stuff.

About the curtain. You can do the flat seams with a hot melt glue gun, using fabric type glue. It is machine washable and dryable too. I made curtains for my boat years ago that way, cause no sewing machine. They lasted for many years.

Good for you! Admirable solution to a continuing need.

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 1:36PM
Hostarina(7B)

Oh, that is the most beautiful potting shed ever. So organized already. LOVE your new Hosta colored bench!
And those hosta babies certainly look like they're feeling they were well tended on it...
Jealous on the west coast with a wheelbarrow,

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 1:44PM
donna_in_sask

What a great set-up. It looks just perfect for that space. You need a comfy chair and a mini-fridge and then you'll never have to leave that spot!

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 1:58PM
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida

Hey I use a wheelbarrow!!! That is a way cool set up. I second mini frig. Paula

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 9:02PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Curtins????? Get serious. A mini-fridge works for me. I use cat litter boxes to mix my stuff, but it would be oh so wonderful to have a bench like that. Wish I had the room. Dreaming.

-Babka

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 9:16PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Thanks for all the comments. There will be a waist high fridge in the room - so got it covered. The room will be garden theme/colors. My Radius garden spade and fork are going to hang on the wall above the bench - working decor.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 11, 2012 at 10:50PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Update with curtain to hide shelves - my DW is very pleased.

Paul

Bookmark   June 14, 2012 at 10:54PM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Some of our posters seem a bit squeamish about curtains, but I think that is a handsome set. We put pleasing touches around our hosta--why not around our workbenches also? Don't think the functional aspect was lost in the process. : )

Kate

Bookmark   June 15, 2012 at 12:10PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Those curtains look really nice. :)

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 12:15PM
almosthooked

Very nice. I too use a wheel barrel and try to hide my mess by the compost bin but does get really out of control. Great idea with the bowl. I am tired of making bread anyway!

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 12:24PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

hey paul.. i linked this to an idabean post in the perennial forum i think.. probably why you got some recent traffic..

and after doing such.. later it the day.. i thought about the fact that you could have used something like below ...lol .. much bigger than that pretty bowl

ken

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 2:48PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Here's an update. Potting bench is working great. A bit more cleanup was completed to fit its multi-purpose. Still a couple of items to clear out. Garden tools hang ready. I drag hose in from deck when I need water for potting.

The frig made the trip to the porch and is stocked (adult and tamer beverages).

Opposite end of room for the non-gardening members of the household. Porch is going to be garden themed and painted a sage green and floors tiled. Not a bad tradeoff for an out of the elements potting shed.

Next week my cookers will get the curtain treatment to keep harmony and stay out of site.

I also store my potted hosta and plants in the porch over winter.

Paul

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 5:00PM
Cricket_Love(4b)

I would like to see those seedlings now to see their progress and prettiness! :)

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 5:02PM
paul_in_mn(4b)

Hey Cricket, those were liners and not much change yet, though happy they handled the recent 90-100 temps ok.

Here is a 2011 Northern Exposure Seedling that Melissa liked recently on a visit. Hoping it jumps in leaf size next year.

Paul

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 5:09PM
Cricket_Love(4b)

Everything is looking beautiful Paul! And the liner plant is showing great promise! Glad to hear they are holding out with this heat wave! Thanks for the pics!!!

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 6:19PM
bkay2000(8a TX)

Nice Cookers!

bkay

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
Wave Runner
Does anyone have Wave Runner? There aren't too many...
bkay2000
NH hostas here
Doesn't look like much but in a month it will. Excited...
ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
Better then 'June'
When making out your order list, you might want to...
DelawareDonna Zone 7A
is there a bacon forum .....?????
if there is.. i should have looked .. lol if there...
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
hostanista
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™