Might be a stupid light queston

kbhaleNovember 12, 2009

I'm in grow zone 6. Temps vary a lot this time of year.

My question is. I'm growing lettuce and salad greens no flowering plants. My lights produce enough heat to heat the room my hydroponics is in. I been thinking about putting the lights on a thermostat. If the plants get 12-14 hours of light per day but broken up over 24 hours. Would the plants be able tolerate it.

Currently I'm running the lights at night and off during the day to help control the heat. I've blocked off all natural light.

As an example of what I'm dealing with now; Right now It's 42F outside and 76F in the hydroponic room with vent open, at 0230 in the morning.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greystoke(South Africa(11))

Sofar I know, light intensity supports the metabolism of the plant, whereas the photoperiod governs the timing clock so to speak. They generally don't cover each other's function.
I think, what you have in mind may cause problems. However, I'm not an expert on this matter. So let's see what others have to say.

Bookmark   November 12, 2009 at 10:03AM
zanderspice

How about keep the lights on a regular cycle and using the tstat to control the vent? It's probably more expensive, but I think cycling the lights is bad for the bulbs and plants.

Bookmark   November 13, 2009 at 12:43PM
kbhale

Decided to vent the heat into my BBQ kitchen. Cut a hole and installed a fan today. I have several Ferns over wintering in there they should enjoy the moisture.

Bookmark   November 16, 2009 at 2:39AM
More Discussions
DWC leaves yellowing
I have a DWC system and am using Rapid Rooter Plugs...
jjocsak
Hydroponically Grown Kale - Convert to Soil?
I bought a package of hydroponically grown kale plants...
eahamel
Exploring the Kratky Hydroponic method for indoor vegetable growi
I've beem OD'ing on Youtube and Garden Web exploration...
delaware
Questions on passive hydro
Hello guys, I currently own a big sansevieria and want...
turbare
Using Miracle Gro
Has anyone used Miracle Gro (the blue water-soluble...
frangeb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™