First Iris Blooms of the Year.

newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)May 14, 2011

My first iris to bloom last year was SPOT STARTER a bonus I received from Schreiners and it is the first again today. But it does have some company. Hurray, TB iris season is underway.

Spot Starter

Clump view of SPOT STARTER.

This one is OPEN YOUR HEART a bonus iris from Rockytop Iris.

Looking down view on OPEN YOUR HEART.

This was really odd. KICKAPOO KANGEROO blooming all the way hidden in the folliage. I had never had that before. It has plenty of other stalks ready to bloom so I will be getting a better view of the flower. It did not bloom for me last year so this is first view of the flower.

Lots of flowers to open.

The first of my Siberian Iris to open this spring. Way ahead of anything else, no other bloom stalks even.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
organic_kitten(8)

Very pretty, Rita, I acn't wait to see the Kickapoo Kangaroo out of its folaige. I love purple iris.
kay

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 5:26PM
Nancy zone 6

I'm anxious to see Kickapoo Kangaroo out where it should be too. I have had that happen a few times, not this year though. My Siberian iris just opened a couple of days ago, funny how close our timing is one Siberians & different on bearded iris. Still like Spot Starter

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 9:03PM
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

I almost missed realizing that there was a bloom on Kickapoo Kangeroo. I just happened to notice the splash of color as I was walking by on the way to Spot Starter. I am sure it will look much better when it blooms on a real stalk LOL!

Kay- I know you love purple and KK is purple and very crazy splashed colors.

Nancy- I wouldn't go by the bloom on China Spring to say it is Siberian Iris bloom time around here. Nothing else even has stalks so this one is out of the gate way ahead of all others and in a different time zone.

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 9:23PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I like Spot Starter too. That second photo is really good- look at all of those lush green plants!

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 11:20PM
More Discussions
help with my bearded irises
About 2 years ago I moved. Not wanting to leave my...
badjar
Dried out Rhizomes - Iris
I have a few Iris that are dried out from storing them...
pinkkpearls
Do you mulch Iris Bed for winter?
I replanted all my iris after the beard iris borer...
redsun9
Anyone know how to reach Zebra Gardens?
Hello! I found Zebra Gardens and their breathtaking...
redwolfdoc_z5
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™