sunflower house

samhain10(5a - MI)January 22, 2013

Hi! Still snowy and freezing here in MI, but I'm working on plans for a sunflower house this season - anyone out there have first hand experience with this so as to give me pointers for success? I'll plant in a circle 10-12 ft in diameter with a 2-3 ft doorway, with Kong Sunflowers in the inner part of the perimeter and shorter varieties in front of those. I'm also thinking of planting a mini-garden of flowers in front of the "house" in the manner of a cottage garden. The whole area is in an already established garden space which is part of my veggie garden. Just thought I'd have some fun this year! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I wish you luck! I've wanted to try a sunflower house for years, but never had the space or enough sunshine. I've heard that planting Heavenly Blue Morning Glories to climb up the sunflowers is a popular design. I like the idea of planting other flowers in front, as well.

Martha

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 4:34PM
samhain10(5a - MI)

I LOVE Heavenly Blues - good idea! The space thing was always what stopped me in the past because I felt it would be too "frivolous" to use all that potential veggie space (!!!!). Now I'm older and wiser. ;) I'll take pics and post as I go along. Right now we are still snow covered around here, so I can only dream about it.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 8:37AM
samhain10(5a - MI)

First stage of the sunflower house...

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 8:00AM
lilangel181(zone 5)

How did that sunflower house turn out, anyway? I'd love to see pictures as it grew!

Bookmark   May 8, 2014 at 5:10PM
dirtbug(W.A. Australia)

Oh yes how did the sunflower house turn out???

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 6:20AM
samhain10(5a - MI)

lilangel181 and dirtbug - in case you're still looking, I hadn't checked this thread in ages since I moved it over to the Gardening with Kids forum. The answer is Yes! The Sunflower House did happen, and I had such fun that I made one this year, too. Both can be viewed at the above mentioned forum under the names Sunflower House and Sunflower House #2.

Here are the links written out, in case the link below doesn't work : http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/teach/msg050809372542.html?42

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/teach/msg0623085426331.html?12

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunflower House

Bookmark   September 21, 2014 at 10:05AM
More Discussions
warming cable underground?
I'm in zone 6, and of course would like to grow plants...
rredbbeard
Recycling a recycling container
...might be a garbage container. Whatever it is/was,...
browsercat
gardening for fulfillment
I USED TO DO A LOT OF GARDENING that is until about...
campingfriends
covering bare areas
What can I plant to cover bare areas around plants,...
isaiah6624
Chestnuts: "Nutgrafting"
Anyone knows the grafting method described in the photo? I...
cumulus_nimbus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™