The Other Irises

harryshoe zone6 eastern PennsylvaniaMay 31, 2012

I am likely one of the very few here who have no bearded iris. Although plans include some BI for the future, my current garden has 20 of the other kind. Most of these grow care free in E. PA.

Crested Iris: Powder Blue Giant

Siberian Iris: Cape Cod Boys

Siberian Iris: Dance Party (2 yrs. from bare root planting)

Siberian Iris: Tipped in Blue

Japanese Iris: Sensation

Louisiana Iris: Dorothea K. Williams (thanks Mad Gallica)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

The Japanese irises make me drool. Yours is one of my favorite garden colors. Thank you for posting your photos- I especially love the foliage of the Siberians, and wish I could grow them here around my pond.
Renee

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 1:30PM
Nancy zone 6

I really like your iris! I only have the common blue Siberians, & a yellow one. I have some Japanese iris that bloomed for the first time this year, the flowers much smaller than I expected. I didn't realize til recently how many different Siberians & Japanese iris there are.

Bookmark   May 31, 2012 at 5:58PM
gardenofeden777(8a central Louisiana)

Oh I love your Tipped In Blue! I missed this post 'til just today. Beautiful photos Harry, thank you! Rena'

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 2:48PM
gardengal48

I'm another iris lover that grows no beardeds :-) And while my current garden is a bit limited for too much iris growing, my old garden held dozens of non-bearded or species irises - Sibes, Cal-Sibes, Pacific Coast hybrids, native irises, a few Japanese iris, winter iris, Japanese wood iris, Iris foetidissima and probably a few others I forget now.

My favorites are the PC hybrids which look like a cross between iris and orchids, have handsome evergreen foliage and come in the most amazing array of colors. I still grow several cultivars of these and a gorgeous yellow with maroon markings unnamed Cal-Sibe from my old garden plus a few regular Siberians and a winter iris.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 6:56PM
aseedisapromise

I like to see the different ones. I have had spuria iris, but not any of the ones like you have. Thanks for expanding the kinds seen here.

Bookmark   June 3, 2012 at 12:44PM
Lily_Kay(5)

Harryshoe, thanks much for your reply.

I'm new to all this, but I don't see enough resemblance to think that this is the same iris.

Maybe we can get some other opinions here.

The Dorathea K Williams is a beautiful iris, but I don't see mine as being the same. (Please pardon my adopting the iris as "mine".)

Any other opinions are very much welcomed.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 5:43PM
More Discussions
Transplant and blooming
Hello to you all! I might as well preface this by saying...
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO
Over wintering bearded Iris plants and Dutch Iris bulbs
I have recently purchased about 14 bearded Iris plants...
keegans31
Louisiana Iris care Houston Texas
Hi! I was wondering if my Louisiana Iris can be cut...
luvpatch2
Herbicide recommendation for iris bed
Hello, I am usually solely a contributor in the vegetable...
hokiehorticulture
First Pseudata
This is the first pseudata (I. pseudacorus X I. ensata)...
eroctuse2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™