Steam soil sterilization

jimmyd(z8b FL/Sunset28)February 21, 2003

Has anyone tried doing this "in the ground" on a small, home garden sized scale, with their own setup?

There are commercial scale steamers which are available for $5k plus. As I understand it, hollow tines or spikes on the back of a tractor are pulled through the soil as steam is passed through them.

It would seem fairly easy to build a boiler and pipe steam to,say, a raised bed which is underlain by perforated pipe. Not mechanically inclined, however, I am afraid if I tried to build it, the whole deal may explode in my face. Would love to know if anyone has thought about or tried this.

Thanks,

Jim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stuschreib

Cool thought! If not mechanically inclined, high pressure steam is a dangerous thing, if inclined, it is only scary. Maybe a local rental yard can rent one for $50 or so a day. Whatcha killin, fire ants? What about black plastic sheeting and Florida Sunshine?
Stu

Bookmark   February 22, 2003 at 1:24AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimmyd(z8b FL/Sunset28)

I'm trying to kill nematodes in my sandy raised bed without chemicals.

The plastic is a good thought, but I'd lose a whole season of growing (I grow early spring to late summer). A steam pressure washer would seem to work except I don't need the water shooting out of it, just the steam.

Thanks for the reply!

Bookmark   February 22, 2003 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Update #2 - Re: Using cornmeal as a plant fungicide
Hi, Many of you have been following the various postings...
nandina
warming cable underground?
I'm in zone 6, and of course would like to grow plants...
rredbbeard
Chili gardening from bottles to ground spacing.
I dug holes 10'' deep with buld planting shovel, fill...
ollo
Garden Art Sculpture
Hello! It's my first time here and I have no experience...
chloelee
Diaper Experiment
I read on container gardening about using stuff out...
ILoveMySoldier
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™