Cheap, Durable Seed Starting & Propagation Kits

Dic_TamnusFebruary 22, 2003

The other day I was at Wal mart looking at their flimsy $5.00 plastic seed starting kits. You know the ones - black plastic try with clear plastic cover. Even with good care I find I have to replace mine every 2-3 years.

On the way out of the stre inspiration hit. I went over to the Rubbermaid storage containers and found every shape and size I could want. They are tough. They allow plenty of light in for your seeds and cuttings, and they come with hinged covers.

They safe space, too. Until the sedlings emerge, I'm keeping them stacked on top of each other. Using peat pots I can easily start 60-70 plants per flat. And the deeper tub is doing great as a place to start winter cuttings.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Micimacko(6)

My husband came up with the same idea couple of weeks ago when I complained about the quality of those starters. Plus, we got a bigger size storage box, so more cells fit in. I use it upside down: the top is the tray, the box is the cover.... And, these Rubbermaid boxes being higher the seedlings have more air. So far it works

Bookmark   February 26, 2003 at 8:00PM
odori983(z6 NY)

Great Idea ... I never even thought of that. How much do the rubbermaid containers cost?

Bookmark   October 5, 2003 at 8:07AM
odori983(z6 NY)

I wonder which sizes were the rubbermaid containers that you bought? Which has the most efficient "cell pack" fitting? I want to know what you tried. Sorry if I sound annoying, but I am trying to figure what is the best for a gardener's money, like me. Hopefully hear from you soon.

Bookmark   October 9, 2003 at 6:18AM
odori983(z6 NY)

The 58 and 28 quarts are pretty good sizes ... they run about 3 to 4 dollars at Wal-Mart.

Orion

Bookmark   October 12, 2003 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
when and how to plant lupine seeds
I hope I'm in the right spot but I've been trying to...
nicolero21
covering bare areas
What can I plant to cover bare areas around plants,...
isaiah6624
Diaper Experiment
I read on container gardening about using stuff out...
ILoveMySoldier
Plants that Love Iron/Plants and Furnace Water
My parents furnace has to periodically drained of rusty...
edlincoln
Garden Art Sculpture
Hello! It's my first time here and I have no experience...
chloelee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™