Why Aren't My Hydrangeas Blooming?

Laurie(6)August 14, 2005

We planted 3 hydrangeas last summer which were in flower at the time. They are on a west facing side of my property, however, there is a large line of ash trees giving quite a bit of shade, so they are never in direct sun. We thought the spot would be good for them. They are healthy as can be, very lush good looking foliage but not a darn bloom on any of them.

We have another one, on an island of our front lawn, facing mostly north. This one does great, they get pretty much the same amount of sun and shade. Both, are in shade a good portion of the day.

Any ideas why these are not blooming? Also, our Pee Gee seems to be suffering this year too, although the high heat these past two weeks here in NJ haven't helped, and we're wondering of cicadas are feeding on it (for some reason, we saw none last year which was supposed to be the Brood X infestation but this year, we've seen dozens and dozens in our yard - may be stragglers from last year?).

Thanks!

Laurie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Laurie(6)

I forgot to add - they are Nikko Blue's. They were mulched over the winter, and we did not prune them at all after they bloomed last year. They are up against our house in a raised bed, so they are protected from northern and eastern winds, but I guess west winds would be a problem? Would protecting them better next winter make a difference?

Bookmark   August 14, 2005 at 7:11PM
csrliz(5/Ohio)

I would say yes, covering is always a good idea.

Bookmark   August 15, 2005 at 11:10AM
dew57(6)

I, too have Hydrangeas not blooming. I have a 3 year old mature hydrangea which has bloomed the first 3 years and not this year. This was the first year it didn't bloom. It is green as can be, no obvious bugs or infestation and I have been regularly watering it. I have another that hasn't bloomed either. My endless summer hydrangea has been blooming and is still in bloom. I also bought a hydrangea at Easter from my church that was in bloom at that time. ( it was forced ) I planted in the ground, eventually cut the spent blooms and thought I would have to wait a couple of years because it was quite small. I would say the pot was a 8 inch pot. Regardless, that is the plant with a very tiny blue bud!! My neighbor and I had a conversation that his Hydrangea which is usually loaded with flowers has about 5 or 6 blooms. I am wondering too if the extreme temperatures could be the reason. All of my plants are in part shade. Good Luck

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 1:13AM
yellowgirl(z9aOrlandoFL)

Dew57,

Sounds like your hunch is right...probably extreme winter temps or late spring frosts. In your zone, the only way to guarantee reliable blooming is to winter protect your hydrangeas. Otherwise, blooming will be hit or miss....yg

Bookmark   August 19, 2005 at 9:44AM
sbransmom_att_net

My Hydrangea Unique bloom last year I think it was early spring and this year nothing. It has some leaves on it but don't look to good.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 4:23PM
More Discussions
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
Oakleaf Hydrangeas and Late Freezes
I will be planting a Snow Queen Oakleaf Hydrangea and...
samnsarah
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
Sally6340
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™