wondering what sort of water to water plants with (biology exp)

zac_attack24February 22, 2006

doing an EEI (extended experiment investigation) in yr 12 biology and need to know what was the best sort of water to use on plants is. im using spring water, town water, rain water and grey water(washing water), and need some info on this, very hard to find on the internet so if anyone has any information it would be muchly appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mscratch(z6 S.E. Mo.)

The best water I ever used for my houseplants came from our aquarium... town water is chemically treated, so I allow it to sit for a day or so before using on my plants..laundry water might be alright for a garden if no bleach is added but its still got chemicals in it from the detergent..I would use rain water if it was not collected coming directly off a roof that had shingles on it, etc.. Spring water might have alot of lime in it and leave residue on the soil but its still a better source than treated water... but you use what is available.. you might try finding a homesteading forum for some in-depth answers..they are well acquainted with water problems.

Bookmark   February 23, 2006 at 10:49PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Learn to refine your searches and you will come up with plenty of information. Use the right search engine, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: try this link

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 9:38AM
Flowerkitty(Z6 or Z5 SE MI)

Bottled spring waters are all different. Mountain Valley Water used to advertise that their water could be used for germination in lab experiments. When I used to be able to buy it, it grew way superior bean sprouts than any other water, bottled or not with almost 100 percent sprouting. However, it is no longer sold around my area

Because I saw such a difference in growing bean sprouts, I suggest that is a very good way to compare waters. Buy a large bag of seeds. Use different waters to soak, and water sprouts. For this, you do not need soil and the difference in sprout size and vigor is very obvious.

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 7:41PM
dilbert(z5 IL)

Compare the following:

1. water

2. heavy water (deuterium oxide)

3. water with deuterium oxide removed (concentration of deuterium oxide in water is about 0.147 mole percent)

Bookmark   April 12, 2006 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
when and how to plant lupine seeds
I hope I'm in the right spot but I've been trying to...
nicolero21
African Keyhole Gardens
Has anyone made one yet?
rainydaywoman_z8
The cornmeal experiment
I tried using cornmeal this season on my tomatoes and...
aiaral
Diaper Experiment
I read on container gardening about using stuff out...
ILoveMySoldier
Chestnuts: "Nutgrafting"
Anyone knows the grafting method described in the photo? I...
cumulus_nimbus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™