Is this PH problems

sivratNovember 5, 2008

Hi,

I have been having some issues recently with my hydro.

last saturday, I checked my tank and the PH was at 5.0. The plant seems to have sucked a lot of water, the tank was almost empty, and strangely my Peppers were all looking really good. They have just started to set fruit.

So I changed the nutes, and balanced it back to 6.5, but now the leaves are not so happy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32178767@N08/3006005430/

Could this be from the shock of the PH change? or is it some deficiency.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
technologygarden

I'd say that would be a good guess, that's it quite a swing in PH, but most likely the peppers got burned from such a low PH. Lets see what some of the other members say...

-Eric
TechnologyGarden.net

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 3:42PM
sivrat

Hi Eric,

Thanks for that, I think it must be that too. The only wierd part is that the plant were fine at ph of 5 or so. Do you think the plants will adapt to the new PH, or is this a late onset of PH burn?

Please excuse all the quesitons, this is my first grow in hydro :).

I enjoy your site by the way, have read it often.

Thanks a bunch

Travis

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 10:41PM
greystoke(South Africa(11))

Yellowing between the veins could also mean a magnesium deficiency. Add a bit of Epsom salt to see if that makes a difference.

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 10:56PM
thenagain

i'm new to this whole thing myself and i've encountered the same exact problem. except perhaps on a grander scale.
i haven't found a solution yet. and i'm loosing plants.
i have been having problems with the nutrients that i have been using, causing my PH to go down to 4 sometimes. i add the ph up but i hate fighting chemicals with chemicals. when i adjust the ph to 6 it will be at 4 in less then 24 hours. i figured shock was my problem, none the less, i had to transplant to a bigger container. next day rolls around, she's wilting and turning dark. 3 days. dry as a bone not sucking up water. i think she's a goner.
i'm going to keep an eye on this forum for a solution if anyone has any. though i might have done it myself with the transplant, i can't keep the ph up.

Bookmark   March 4, 2009 at 10:57PM
freemangreens(Zone 10 CA)

Try this:
Grow one or two "test plants" in an organic nutrient. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Bookmark   March 5, 2009 at 1:33AM
akjim907

I have some experience not sure what type hydroponic system you are using...? I am using a NFT system, I had a sudden fall in PH I kept using 'PH Up' the next day back down... I did lots of research, I discovered I had an anaerobic bacteria (not enough oxygen for the roots) the roots were brown not a bright white like they should be and the leaves were dropping badly. Several factors; left old nutes in too long, the NFT water level was too deep stagnant water(drain tubes not deep enough). I ended up replacing water/nutes and adding H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) and continue to use H2O2 once a week and have never had any more problems. I change water and nutes every 30 days. I'm on my 3rd batch of lettuce. I have a very happy hydro system.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Lettuce Machine

Bookmark   March 5, 2009 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Questions on passive hydro
Hello guys, I currently own a big sansevieria and want...
turbare
Exploring the Kratky Hydroponic method for indoor vegetable growi
I've beem OD'ing on Youtube and Garden Web exploration...
delaware
Who Else Has Vertigro Stackers?
I'm curious how many people are using Vertigro Stackers...
twisted76017
Making the aquarium to hydroponic switch! Advice?
Hello, I have been an aquarium geek for quite some...
Paulywog0667
DWC leaves yellowing
I have a DWC system and am using Rapid Rooter Plugs...
jjocsak
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™