Read the FAQ.... still not sure why my iris won't bloom?

bananastandMay 20, 2011

So, I transplanted a lone clump of iris from a wild, unmowed border of my large yard 2 summers ago (moved the plants summer 2009). The area where they had been was not full sun. I moved it to a little cultivated bed I created with similar sun exposure. I'm in Wisconsin and I have no flower stalks yet, which I'm assuming means I get no blooms again this year. I expected no blooms last year. What else can I do to help these guys out?

Here is the bed as it looked last spring:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

How deep do you have those iris planted? I don't see the rhizome. The top of the rhizome should be above ground so that it can get sunlight. If not they don't bloom, or bloom very little.

In zone 4 I would think it is still too early for stalks to appear yet. I could be wrong.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 10:04PM
bananastand

You can't see in that pic, but the tops of the rhizomes are exposed. Maybe you are right and it's just too early for stalks. I saw all these posts about blooms and just assumed I was foiled again this year! I can't recall the phenology of when iris bloom here.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 11:15PM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

I think it might be too early yet. I still have a number of irises that have not bloomed, and I'm in California.
Renee

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 11:16PM
bananastand

Good news.... I have about 6 buds waiting to blossom into flowers!!! I was just too impatient. ;-) Will post pics when they bloom!!

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 10:41PM
aliska12000(Z5)

That's great! I have one clump of no shows, can't remember what they are.

I learned the hard way, and most transplants I lose a season of bloom. Some other ones even if I don't get them planted exactly right, they eventually do their own thing and bloom.

I think it helped some to bloom faster once I read on this forum to leave some rhizome exposed and trim. But one huge bunch I planted too deep took 3 years to bloom and now they are too many for where they are, blooming like crazy.

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 12:40AM
hosenemesis(SoCal Sunset 19 USDA 8b)

Can't wait to see!
Renee

Bookmark   June 2, 2011 at 1:46AM
More Discussions
help with my bearded irises
About 2 years ago I moved. Not wanting to leave my...
badjar
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
Anyone know how to reach Zebra Gardens?
Hello! I found Zebra Gardens and their breathtaking...
redwolfdoc_z5
Consequences of transplanting in winter/early spring, zone 5
Hello, I have a question about transplanting irises....
kmburton
Too many roots!
I had a spot in the yard and grass would not grow....
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™