Best Time To Divide?

pacnwgrdngirl(z8 WA)May 22, 2007

All of my Iris are blooming still. I have three big beds. I want to dig up a whole bed of Old-Fashioned purple,white, and yellow Iris. The bed they are in is a little too squishy. I need to put them in a better spot. Also, my sister-in-law has a bed of root-beer-chocolate Tall Beardeds - just about done now. They are becoming crowded and need to be divided. We are going to trade. I volunteered to help her. Hers are incredible. Stunning color, and super ruffled. Just can't wait to get m hands on some of those! When is the best time to divide? July? Also, if you plant the fans right away before they dry out will they bloom the next year? Or will they bloom in two? (That's what I've experienced before.) I'm fairly new to Iris. I am liking them a lot. Check out my album with some picture of Iris I have. Most of them were givien to me, so I don't know their names. Thanks for all your help! :o)

Here is a link that might be useful: My Album

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gmason

If yours are getting crowded probably as soon as they are through blooming. It's nice to let the fans grow till after the fourth of July if they aren't too crowded.

Bookmark   May 22, 2007 at 10:52PM
flowergirl70ks

It is best to dig tall bearded iris 6 weeks after they finish blooming. That gives them time to make food for next year. Here in Ks, I usually wait until the last of July. If it's extremely hot when you replant, face the broad side of the fan north and south. That leaves less of the fan to fight the sun.

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 9:21PM
pacnwgrdngirl(z8 WA)

That sounds like the trick to me! Wait the six weeks after blooming so the rhizome can replenish to make a bloom for next year. The light bulb above my head is lit! Now maybe they will bloom the following year after dividing, than waiting 2 seasons. Thank you flowergirl70KS!

Bookmark   May 24, 2007 at 11:08PM
grumpygardenguy(7 northern AL)

I'm confusseled all my iris have always bloomed in early spring and dont rebloom till following year. Never had any do anything different. this year hardly any bloomed, had maybe 6 out of 40. Now one lone iris has a bloom stalk on it, so i'm guessing they are getting crowded and need seperating, but how do i decide to seperate if some are going to deside to bloom late.

Bookmark   May 27, 2007 at 10:59AM
Nancy zone 6

Grumpy, did you get that late frost that I got? Only a few of my iris bloomed this year, I'm blaming that because I know mine aren't crowded, only specific varieties bloomed, & in no particular location-I have mine scattered all over the yard.

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 8:54AM
marymac

HI ....

I SENT YOU AN EMAIL ABOUT YOUR PICTURES OF SOME IRISIS. I ESPECIALLY LIKE THE OLD FASHION PEACH.....GORGEOUS!!!!!

Bookmark   May 28, 2007 at 6:31PM
More Discussions
Homeless US Navy Veteran w. Iris seed to trade
Hello, I currently live at the Homeless Veterans Emergency...
BearState
Maybe Triple Your Pleasure?
I was so pleased by the ample rebloom I got from Double...
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
Looking for iris Frost and Flame
Hi, I m looking for the iris Frost and Flame by the...
gibsongirl74_gw
Dried out Rhizomes - Iris
I have a few Iris that are dried out from storing them...
pinkkpearls
WANTED: Want any iris , daffodils tulips or lilies
If you are dividing your iris beds and have extra irises...
josephlee
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™