Basil Help with Prepara Pro

RickdudeNovember 13, 2012

Hi,

Let me preface this by saying that I am not at all a gardener. If anyone is kind enough to answer this request for help, please dumb it down for me. ;-)

I am using a Prepara Pro hydroponic system with a grow light that is on a timer (15 hours on and 9 hours off). I am growing three varieties of basil-- Lemon, Genovese, and Purple Ruffles. The lemon is taking off and growing maybe 2-3 times as fast as the Genovese, which is growing maybe 2-3 times faster than the purple ruffles.

The first and most obvious problem is the brown spots on the lemon basil. The leaves sprout, look healthy (and the plants are growing), but then these brown spots appear. The spots get worse, the leaves droop, and they look like they will eventually fall.

The leaves on the lemon basil were initially flat, but the newer leaves coming in are curled to the back, which made me realize that perhaps the shape of the leaves on the smaller plants are indicative of further problems (you can see those in the picture as well).

I realize that maybe these plants probably have different nutrient needs, but I figured that what came with the system was general enough to keep it all covered. The solution that I am working with is "Power Plant" diluted at 0.1% (the label says that it is 7% total nitrogen, 9% P2O5, 5% K2O, 0.1% iron, 0.05% Mn, and 0.05% Zn, if that helps).

Thanks for any help at all!!

Rick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rickdude

Picture didn't come through first time... trying again.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 4:37PM
cole_robbie(6)

I looks like bacterial leaf spot to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bacterial Leaf Spot

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 9:31PM
eircsmith

Thank for starting thread on Prepara Pro hydroponic system and sharing your experience which can help grower or it can be preferable in future for growing.

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 1:31AM
More Discussions
Hydroponics
Hi all! I'm a beginner at hydroponics gardening......
skttls
DWC leaves yellowing
I have a DWC system and am using Rapid Rooter Plugs...
jjocsak
Hydroponically Grown Kale - Convert to Soil?
I bought a package of hydroponically grown kale plants...
eahamel
Making the aquarium to hydroponic switch! Advice?
Hello, I have been an aquarium geek for quite some...
Paulywog0667
Using Miracle Gro
Has anyone used Miracle Gro (the blue water-soluble...
frangeb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™