grass overtaking my perennials

Mertie(Z5 MI)March 9, 2012

I used to have beautiful gardens. Over the years, I haven't been able to maintain them like I once did, and now have a lot of grass growing in my groupings of perennials.

Short of digging everything up.. is there any product on the market that will kill grass and not harm my plants.

Thank you, in advance, of any help you can give me.

Mertie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alexis717_df

None that I know of. I've had better than reasonable success by cutting the bottom of a 1 or 2 liter soda bottle off, depends on area you need to cover. Gather a handful of grass and stick it inside the bottom of the bottle. Then take a systemic weed/grass killer put the nozzle in the open neck end of the bottle and squirt away. You have to leave the bottle on till the grass dries otherwise the wet blades might transfer the weed killer to any plant it touches. The systemic will travel down and kill a lot of roots. When it's all dead just pull it out. This is not a fast process and will have to be repeated on any roots that did not die. But if you are reasonably vigilant you will succeed.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 12:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shan_2008

I had the same problem with crab grass in my front flower bed. I found something at Walmart in a spray bottle. I don't remember the name, but I think it was "Grass B Gone." Not sure at all on the name. It killed the crab grass and everything seems to have survived ok. The beds look a lot better now. Good luck!

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
covering bare areas
What can I plant to cover bare areas around plants,...
isaiah6624
covering a mound
I have a mound, possibly 35 feet across, and 6 foot...
isaiah6624
Chestnuts: "Nutgrafting"
Anyone knows the grafting method described in the photo? I...
Cumulus-nimbus
Cornmeal tea for tomato blight
I am trying using cornmeal tea to treat early tomato...
hunter_tx
Diaper Experiment
I read on container gardening about using stuff out...
ILoveMySoldier
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™