how do I graft a tomato to potato?? for space

urbn_hmstdrMarch 26, 2006

Hi, I need instructions on how to graft a tomato to potato to save space. I have grown some tomato seedlings from seed and have gotten attached to them, I would hate to waste them if I use wrong technique.

My reasons for wanting to do this - extremely limited yard space (currently renting and can only use the flower beds). It will be a good skill to have once I have my homesteading land which because of cost might be only 3 acres.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmfreedom

grow both tomatoe plant and potatoe plant to the transpant stage harden them off let them grow side by side out doors for one week make a one or 2 inch cut in the skin of each the plants where they will make contact then tape them together so no cut is exposed . Next let them fully recover . Then gradually cut back the potatoe leaves a few at a time until there are none ,let them return to good health check the graft to make sure the 2 plants have fused ( grown together as one ) if they have ,and the graft and tomatoe plant are both healthy and strong you can then amputate the potatoe branch just above the graft . Then let it grow until it is healthy strong stable and growing when the tomatoe is growing well and healed completely then you can cut off thr tomatoe roots . Then when it heals completely you have a tompotatoe plant ! The harvests you get are usually inferior to growng the 2 crops separatly . Good Luck!

Bookmark   April 13, 2006 at 2:47PM
More Discussions
Cornmeal tea for tomato blight
I am trying using cornmeal tea to treat early tomato...
hunter_tx
Alkaline Water
I read an article (from a company that makes alkaline...
hardeng
African Keyhole Gardens
Has anyone made one yet?
rainydaywoman_z8
warming cable underground?
I'm in zone 6, and of course would like to grow plants...
rredbbeard
Growing vegetables in part shade?
Have any of you experimented with growing veges in...
Stephen1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™