Info on NO-Till Garden Pumpkins

Jeffreyharrington(Z5 KS)March 18, 2005

Okay I have access to about 3-5 acresÂ. Of land that quite frankly is over grown with prairie grass and a several to lots of cedar; this being about as big as they have gotten; not over 3 Â 4 feetÂ. My question is rather than turn all the area over because IÂd have to have some one come in and do it. But I can use an auger to drill the hills and set the out that wayÂ

Would this work or would you recommend clearing the area and having it turned? And leave the tree until this fall; winter; and then take them out and turn in the fall.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jkirk3279(Z5 SW MI)

Not that familiar with KS.

Were you planning to put the whole 5 acres in punkins?

Gee. Linus would be SOOO happy.

But if you can rent a large chipper, you could probably chip up those saplings in a weekend.

I used a tractor mounted auger once. Are cedar saplings hard to rip out?

Could you use the auger to loosen up the soil? If they're as bad as Sumac saplings it would be lots of work any other way.

Anyway, it's a large area to deal with. You could plant them in hills, sure. But a hill should be about the area of three auger holes, I'd think.

Only problem is, punkins need water. Five acres of punkins would need several tons of water. How's your rainfall?

The no-till movement is sound, although it's a bit hard to imagine caring for punkins in that kind of overgrowth. What about mowing the rows? You've got enough space, you can leave ten feet between rows and keep the weeds down with a tractor that has a belly mower.

If the ground is uneven, though, it might be best to have it plowed once to level the playing field....

If you want to suppress weeds, chip up the cedar and use it to mulch the punkin hills.

And then it'll be a truly SINCERE punkin patch.

Bookmark   April 6, 2005 at 8:56PM
More Discussions
African Keyhole Gardens
Has anyone made one yet?
rainydaywoman_z8
Diaper Experiment
I read on container gardening about using stuff out...
ILoveMySoldier
2015 Planned Experiment w/Epsom Salt
I have seen so many blog sites rave about the use of...
kathleen57
Tomato Plant & Coper Wire Experiment
Hi Folks, well as some of you may know I had tried...
vgkg
Chestnuts: "Nutgrafting"
Anyone knows the grafting method described in the photo? I...
cumulus_nimbus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™