Making a vineyard warmer

boizeau(7a)March 11, 2012

I need to get some pics. done to post here for an example, but over the years, I've added quite a bit of dark sand to my grape garden. I create a mound about 5 feet in diameter and 18 inches high of a mostly sand mixed with topsoil combination, and then I plant the grapevine on the Southwest face. For some folks this would not help the plant, but in our cool maritime region, the SW slope is the warmest spot on the hill, and we are a bit shy on heat accumulation. Wonder what other gimmicks folks are trying out to increase the heat in their gardens short of a greenhouse.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgeneschreiner(5a)

I notice that if I plant a tender perennial close to the house especially on the east or south side, the plants do much better. I think because the west and north wind is blocked. Following that line of reasoning, maybe some sort of wind block would help.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 5:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgeneschreiner(5a)

I spoke with my sister who lives on the banks of Lake Superior in Cornecopia, a small town in northern Wisconsin. They had Concord grapes die in their yard because of the extreme cold and drying wind that blew off that Lake in winter.

They replanted with Concord grapes and two other varieties, one white and one red (I don't know the names of these). This time they deliberately chose a site on the east side of their garage. This sheltered spot actually created a warmer micro-climate by blocking the lake winds.

All three grape vines have grown beautifully and when I visited them last fall, the vines were full of grapes!

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
Cornmeal tea for tomato blight
I am trying using cornmeal tea to treat early tomato...
hunter_tx
warming cable underground?
I'm in zone 6, and of course would like to grow plants...
rredbbeard
when and how to plant lupine seeds
I hope I'm in the right spot but I've been trying to...
nicolero21
covering bare areas
What can I plant to cover bare areas around plants,...
isaiah6624
Tomato Plant & Coper Wire Experiment
Hi Folks, well as some of you may know I had tried...
vgkg
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™