In-Ground Pool Garden

chefschipullApril 3, 2007

Hello, I was thinking about converting an in-ground swimming pool to a vegetable garden and I was wondering if anyone has tried this yet. Its a rather large pool, 4 feet deep at the shallow end to 8 feet deep at the other end.

What would be the best type of medium to fill the pool in with? Regular dirt, or small river rocks? I'm looking to take on a new project so any previous experience with this would help. Thanks!

ChefSchipull

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chrismich213

If you are thinking of filling a gunite pool with soil, as if it never existed, contact your ordinance guy first. In MI, if you try it, the concrete walls must be broken to 4 feet, REMOVED, the bottom broken, and the proper permits must be obtained. I would hate to see you do this work, and then have to dig it all out again. See other people's activities on this subject in pool forum.
I remember someone in the newspaper turning the deeper part of their pool into a native pond (fish, plants, etc) and the ordinance guys stopped him.
That being said, the fill must be installed & compacted in layers, with the top 12" being good soil. You Don't want it become a sink hole area later as the soil settles.

Bookmark   April 3, 2007 at 7:20PM
tas123(z5 MI)

My parents just had their inground pool filled in and it looks beautiful! They filled all but the top 6-8" with sand moved in by bobcat from another area of their property. (They had a vinyl liner that they slashed before putting the sand in.) Then they let it settle over the winter, and topped it with brought-in soil. The landscaper designed various areas to break up the oval shape, and also put stones around the edges. Below is a link to pictures of the installation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool Landscaping

Bookmark   July 9, 2007 at 5:21PM
barbcoleus(z10 Cape Coral,Fl)

You might want to check the price of dirt, buying vegetables for the rest of your life might be cheaper. In my area in Florida, dirt is not dirt cheap. As a matter of fact, people who own acres visit their property and find large amounts of dirt gone-stolen!!!

Bookmark   July 11, 2007 at 1:56PM
More Discussions
Planting Fig tree cuttings under boulders
This is my new experiment. Our acreage is studded with...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
African Keyhole Gardens
Has anyone made one yet?
rainydaywoman_z8
Watering with algae
I was wondering if during my rainwater collection process...
Dansdan
Recycling a recycling container
...might be a garbage container. Whatever it is/was,...
browsercat
Diaper Experiment
I read on container gardening about using stuff out...
ILoveMySoldier
Sponsored Products
Grass & Twig Wreath
$34.99 | zulily
Polished Gray Granite Bench with Curved Design
Signature Hardware
Leopard & Black Petal Pillow
$24.99 | zulily
Coral Coast Layton Wicker Outdoor Fire Pit Chat Set - PSM187
$709.98 | Hayneedle
Give Me a Boost Decorative Outdoor Fountain
Lamps Plus