Phony corporate outrage story o' the day

david52 Zone 6February 7, 2013

snip -

Supermarket owners argue a pending federal food-labeling rule that stems from the new health care law would overburden thousands of grocers and convenience store owners -- to the tune of $1 billion in the first year alone.

Store owner Tom Heinen said the industry's profit margins already are razor thin. "When you incur a significant cost, there is no way that that doesn't get passed on to the customer in some form," he said.

The rule stems from an ObamaCare mandate that restaurants provide nutrition information on menus. Most in the restaurant industry were supportive of the idea, but when the FDA decided to extend the provision to also affect thousands of supermarkets and convenience stores, the backlash was swift.

The proposed regulation would require store owners to label prepared, unpackaged foods found in salad bars and food bars, soups and bakery items. Erik Lieberman, regulatory counsel at the Food Marketing Institute, said testing foods for nutritional data will require either expensive software or even more costly off-site laboratory assessments.

- snip - end quote

So, the convenience and grocery stores had no idea what they were selling all this time?

Here is a link that might be useful: why, yes! Its Fox

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marquest(z5 PA)

My daughter had an emergency hospital, life threatening situation because of a nut allergy. It is a necessary rule. She reads ingredients before she purchase items and in restaurants. It is amazing what people will put nuts in or use nut oil, and artificial coloring, and flavoring ingredients can contain things she is allergic. A meal cooked in peanut oil could result in someone's death. Do they care?

Why do they think their inconvenience of listing ingredients more important than someone's health?

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 1:17PM
denninmi(8a)

Hey, I'm an American, a good, Freedom Loving American. I don't give a rat's behind how many calories are in my 96 ounce SuperSquishee. And I don't think Apu cares, either, as long as he gets his $1.89. Keep the government out of it. Because, you know, I'd rather just not think about this crap until I have to. If I find my self 58 years old and then wonder why I'm 450 lbs and they're cutting my leg off due to diabetic gangrene, I guess that's just the price of such freedom.

OK, enough with the little rant. I think it would be a good idea, but I don't buy the "hardship" argument. There are all kinds of inexpensive or even free recipe analysis programs out there that spit out extremely detailed nutritional analysis of a recipe, even the smallest mom and pop could do it. As far as the cost, that is passed on to the consumer.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 1:53PM
Circus Peanut

It's not the "hardship", that's just their smokescreen. It's that they are loathe to reveal the amount of poisonous junk that's actually in processed food. Most consumers won't be swayed by a detailed label, but even the small percentage that are would represent a large profit loss.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 2:15PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

A better explanation at the link below, from the US Food and Drug Administration

Here is a link that might be useful: Overview of FDA Proposed Labeling Requirements for Restaurants, Similar Retail Food Establishments and Vending Machines

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 2:16PM
PRO
Brushworks Spectacular Finishes(5)

And some of you want Twinkies to stick around?

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 3:19PM
esh_ga

And some of you want Twinkies to stick around?

Properly labeled, yes. I believe that people can make their own choices and they deserve the information they need to make those choices.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 4:05PM
duluthinbloomz4

Coming up on another occasion to satisfy that craving for "Peeps". (They do come out for Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, etc. all through the holiday calendar year don't they... since they're just not for Easter anymore.)

I detest them myself - second only to Twinkies, but looked them up anyway. They contain a pork derived gelatin. Beware vegans, vegetarians, and those keeping Kosher. And who really knows what dietary fibers and "other natural ingredients" could possibly be.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 4:34PM
vgkg(Z-7)

Some food packaging may not be big enough to label all the ingredients......esp twinkies.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 5:06PM
dicot

When I was tracking paper & pulp products in and out of the US, I was always amazed at the amount of tree-derived cellulose that made it into food products as "filler." McDonald's shakes used to be particularly good at this, I think they maxed out at above 10% wood pulp at one point in the 90s.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 5:14PM
vgkg(Z-7)

Dicot, a few years ago I was complaining here about cellulose in parmesan cheese products in the sprinkle type cans. One particular product is labeled as "100% Grated Parmesan Cheese". Yes, it is indeed 100% grated, but it's not 100% cheese. Decaking agents are listed in the fine print of ingredients including cellulose (basically fine saw dust) and corn starch. The percentage of actual cheese is anyone's guess.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 5:31PM
elvis

"100% grated" means just that? I'll be jigger-jaggered. Now that's nervy--seriously. I wonder how the new labeling will address that sort of subterfuge.

Bookmark   February 7, 2013 at 9:01PM
jodik_gw

Subterfuge, indeed. So much for honesty in advertising, or straightforward anything. Without a degree in chemical engineering, it's almost impossible to know exactly what our government and its agencies deem appropriate for human consumption.

I'm so glad I know exactly what Mother Nature is capable of producing.

The allergy angle is a valid one... a lot of folks are allergic to various foodstuffs or chemicals. A lack of proper and honest labeling could lead to death or medical emergencies.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 7:07AM
grapeleaves

Can't always trust those labels.
Findus beef lasagna contained 100% horse meat.

Here is a link that might be useful: you're really eating horse meat

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 8:34AM
jillinnj

So, the convenience and grocery stores had no idea what they were selling all this time?

Amazing, isn't it? As CP said:

It's that they are loathe to reveal the amount of poisonous junk that's actually in processed food.

Duh! ;-)

One of the wonderful things about NY, is that the calories have to be listed on everything. No, it doesn't tell you everything but it does help to make a somewhat more informed choice when buying lunch.

Bookmark   February 8, 2013 at 6:55PM
Campanula UK Z8

Ha, we are all learning the meaning of 'drind' - that is, bits of hide, bone, gristle and general awfulness to make our horseburgers stretch a little further. Amusing to watch the all-round buck-passing and squirming as it appears that provenance has no meaning in the processed fodder industry.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 8:01AM
thegreatcob

campanula and people still wonder why the USA banned butchering horse meat for export 5 years ago.
the companies in usa producing pink slime went out business
last year.
Looks like Jamie Oliver had same effect in UK as USA nothing.
He was fighting the wrong thing. The UK needs a modern food industry instead of and Industrial one.

Bookmark   February 9, 2013 at 8:49AM
More Discussions
Jeb prepared to be 3rd Bush to use Military in Iraq
This is from the article in the link But he has said...
enmc
Indiana has HIV epidemic
Pence orders short-term needle exchange to combat HIV...
momj47
Dinosaurs are bad!
This is hard to believe! Ummmm...anyone have an idea...
asleep_in_the_garden
Indiana - just plain old discrimination
Indiana House OKs controversial religious freedom bill And...
momj47
Curiouser and Curiouser
Iran Case Is So Secret It Can't Go On Some things are...
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™