Zone denial/frost protection

lucille(Houston)April 28, 2012

I am in the Houston area and am going to plant bottlebrush seedlings. If there is a hard freeze I was thinking of covering the hedge with tarps and possibly even running one of those ice defroster wires on the ground. Or are there better ways to protect?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I sometimes get annoyed by persons who say in affect go look somewhere else for your answers. Having said that I admit that sometimes I do it myself. I suggest you go to Gardening in Texas - GardenWeb and repost your query.

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 1:50PM
ElectricFertilizer

I have read of some experiments that use electricity to prevent frost damage using electricity - look up electroculture or electro-horticulture. Basically, applying a DC electric field to the soil will be the way to test it out. Let me know if you decide to give it a try!

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 7:00AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Albert probably has the best respose as there are soooo many variables I live in s. florida so what works for me may not work for you What is your general lowest temps and for how long?? Bottle brush survives temps into the 20s easily but I'd bet it couldn't handle it all day long or repeatedly
My most extreme is for a Vanda orchid bed I use frost cloth held up by PVC pipe ,heated with a lightless infrared lamp with thermostat.. Always keep it above 50 year around. it's used lesss than two weeks out of the year and then only for hours at a time.. My biggest problem is overheating after the front has passed
For general frost protection i wouldn't recommend any type of plastic . Used bed sheets with or without christmas lights work well and are easy to store . very light weight and cheap . They do make reactive "frostcloth" that produces heat if you need to go that far ??? gary

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 5:46AM
More Discussions
Recycling a recycling container
...might be a garbage container. Whatever it is/was,...
browsercat
The cornmeal experiment
I tried using cornmeal this season on my tomatoes and...
aiaral
Plants that Love Iron/Plants and Furnace Water
My parents furnace has to periodically drained of rusty...
edlincoln
Chestnuts: "Nutgrafting"
Anyone knows the grafting method described in the photo? I...
cumulus_nimbus
Diaper Experiment
I read on container gardening about using stuff out...
ILoveMySoldier
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™