Straw Bale planting

katherinegrows(z5 MI)April 16, 2007

HI I am 16 and a 4-hr i would love to do a mini display on this subject and I think I will use a 6 x 9 craft straw bale i will be soaking the bale and i plan on digging into the bale to add some soil because the bale is not the typical bale. I will also be making a normal bale outside in the yard for the true test. i am so glad i fell on this. reading all your information has helped me. thanks if anyone has any hints or advise please feel free to pass them on. or fair is July 7th. thanks Katherine.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

Congratulations on a fine and worthwhile project. I once took part in a similar exercise. The group filled a crate with some very good topsoil and planted some watermelon seeds in it. When they were well established, we left about four of the best plants and discarded the rest. We then took it to the very top of a very large heap of quarry stones. We dug out a space and placed the crate in it. We covered it lightly with stones and left everything to the weather. Within a week the vines had grown out and a few weeks later, the pile was covered by the vines laden with watermelons. Many people were quite mystified as to how those vines got there. Of course none of them went up to the top to see; they were only there for the watermelons.

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 5:51AM
More Discussions
Cornmeal tea for tomato blight
I am trying using cornmeal tea to treat early tomato...
hunter_tx
Alkaline Water
I read an article (from a company that makes alkaline...
hardeng
African Keyhole Gardens
Has anyone made one yet?
rainydaywoman_z8
Plants that Love Iron/Plants and Furnace Water
My parents furnace has to periodically drained of rusty...
edlincoln
sunflower house
Hi! Still snowy and freezing here in MI, but I'm working...
samhain10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™