Tomato cages for my Gladiolas

green_panther(Upstate NY)April 30, 2008

Hello Everyone

I'm usually not one for plants that you have to fuss with BUT it seems I have a soft spot for my husband and his favorite flower - the Gladiola.

So every year I dig them up in the fall and replant in the spring. The only problem is, they keep flopping over! It gives me a good excuse to cut them and bring them inside but I would also like to enjoy them where they are.

My experiment this is year is to put tomato cages over the bulbs for support. But tomato cages on their own are a little sparse so I was thinking that I might get some morning glories, cardinal climbers, hyacinth beans etc. to grow up the cages.

This is my picture from last year BEFORE the climbing annual vine brainstorm:

What do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roseyp8255(z8 - SC AL)

great idea on the morning glories...i need to try that here. i am using tomatoe cages on my ginger lilies, they get HUGE and flop over...hate the cages during the spring......gonna try the annual vines! :)

Bookmark   May 1, 2008 at 12:16AM
paul_(z5 MI)

Btw GP, you might be able to forego digging up the glads. I have glads (not the "winter hardy" varieties) planted in several areas of my folks' yard. I never dig them up as I rarely have the time to drive upstate to their place in the fall. They've come up no problem -- and this has been going on for 7 or 8 years now at least. So I'd say perhaps give it a try with a few bulbs and see what happens.

Bookmark   June 28, 2008 at 10:06AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Finally someone has found a use for those accursed tomato cages. Good for you.

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 1:49PM
green_panther(Upstate NY)

LOL - Albert! I know just how you feel... my tomatoes just end up hanging themselves off the stupid cages... the gladiolas like them much better. Should only be a couple more weeks now and I should have pictures!

Bookmark   July 3, 2008 at 3:02PM
andrewlina(Z5)

Tomato cages work especially well for my peonies as well as my hollyhocks,roses,MG and glads. I love tomato cages - they are so versatile.

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
when and how to plant lupine seeds
I hope I'm in the right spot but I've been trying to...
nicolero21
warming cable underground?
I'm in zone 6, and of course would like to grow plants...
rredbbeard
"brewing underground"
I was thinking of brewing beer or some yeast concoction...
T S
"brewing underground"
I was thinking of brewing beer or some yeast concoction...
T S
covering a mound
I have a mound, possibly 35 feet across, and 6 foot...
isaiah6624
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™