Hydroponic Strawberries

grampe(4)December 3, 2005

I have Strawerry plants in 2 liter bottles , planted in 3/8's pea stone, and they have done real well. My question is "How do I care for the plants this winter". In our region winters are very cold, and I would like to know what to do to my plants to hold them over the winter. The plants are very healthy, with runners attached. I do not heat my greenhouse during the winter season. I would appreciate any sound advice from strawberry growers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
slaphead(z8 WA)

Strawberries benefit from chilling over the winter with some varietys tolerating more cold than others. If you purchased yours from a local nursery they were probably bred for your climate and in all likelihood will tolerate and actually benefit from over-wintering in your unheated greenhouse.

If you were growing the plants in soil I would advise you to stop applying fertilizer as soon as the cold drives them to dormancy. I suspect this will also be true for growing them hydroponically. I have no idea how they'll react if the roots freeze while suspended in solution.

Hope this helps,

SH

Bookmark   December 3, 2005 at 12:50PM
grampe(4)

Thanks slaphead for the reply. I live in zone4, where it gets anywhere from -20 to -40 below zero, and I have stopped the nutrients about 3 weeks ago. I realize strawberry plants need chilling, but this would be like throwing them in the freezer. I would think this would kill the roots, but don;t know for sure??. I guess I will have to take my chances, and see what happens next spring. Thanks again for the reply, and have a Happy Holiday Season.

Grampe

Bookmark   December 3, 2005 at 8:33PM
baci(z10Ca)

I came across this link this morning. They suggest:

"Â simulate a winter for your new seedlings. Dip roots (or plugs) in microbial solution, gently wrap them in clear plastic and refrigerate them for two to five months. After this rest period, your transplants are ready to be added to your hydroponic system."

They have a bit of info on hydro strawberries  just scroll down the text.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow Strawberries

Bookmark   December 19, 2005 at 4:21AM
grampe(4)

Thank you very much Baci and slaphead for your reply. It has already gone to -7 below 0, and my strawberries are well frozen by now. I have left the plants in my containers, and will wait for spring to know the results. The plants are very well developed, and I know they don't mind the cold, so we will just have to wait and see the results. It seems like I just got things cleaned up, and have to make up some new bato buckets for some other experiments for the up-coming season. Again, thanks for replying to my question, and have a very wonderful Holiday Season,

Grampe

Bookmark   December 19, 2005 at 5:04PM
More Discussions
What can I do to learn more about planting or farming????
Hi all! I'm a beginner at hydroponics gardening......
skttls
Started the hydro garden
I watched Bobby grow long enough and got busy. I bought...
radrob
Lettuce is infected
Can anyone tell me what my lettuce is being infected...
SNosko
Nutrient Selection
I want to know people's experiences with different...
meenwiz
coco peat as a medium
I have been using cocopeat for a very short while,...
theflgardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™