Heavy Duty Welded Rebar Mesh Tomato Cages

deanne2(8a)April 22, 2009

Maybe someone out there might recognize this material my dad used to make these wonderful tomato cages out of. My dad, who was in construction, had these cages welded out of a rebar kind of mesh. They were tall like maybe 7ft or more by about 1.5-2 ft wide cylinders. The squares or rectangles in the mesh were big enough for you to easily to reach the tomatoes. He would put the cage in a whisky barrel and then fill it with dirt. I donÂt think you could move them once there were filled since the whole thing would have been very heavy. The cage was solid and didn't move. He would start them very early in the season like February and use clear plastic tied around the rebar mesh to keep out the cold air. This worked very well. I just wished I knew what that rebar mesh was called. He had a friend weld it and it is not something that looked like it could bend into a circle but it had to since it was welded and the squares were so perfect that it had to have been a premade mesh of some sort. These cages did such a great job of holding up heavy tomatoes and the plants could get really big in these cages. Dad passed away quite awhile ago and I would love to make about three of those and stick them in my raised beds. I have seen field fencing which looks like pretty stout wire but the bundles I have seen at home depot are not that tall and my dads were much more heavy duty metal than that as well. Does anyone know what this mesh rebar stuff is and where you can get it and how much is it? Is there a cheap way to find some? Can anyone help me figure out how to make these again?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

It is commonly called concrete reinforcing wire and is available at the big box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot) or else concrete places.

Here is a blog about making them but they refer to the wire as construction wire mesh.

I've been meaning to make me some of the concrete wire mesh (crw)cages for years. I have the wire, so hopefully this will be the year I get at least a few of them made.

hth.

Sue...chemocurl

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato cages for the serious Gardener

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 2:14PM
wally_1936(8b)

I see by this string that no one is worried about removing them later. I was just thinking after seeing your post wouldn't it be a little easier to bend the four sides and cutting to fit the ends together? They could either be welded or just wired together with a heavy gage wire. I like the wiskey barrel ideal. that would keep it from falling over without cutting the bottom wire which would allow it to be pushed into the ground. If a barrel isn't used you could use chicken wire to retain the soil needed for the raised beds. But then if you don't use the barrels you will also be able to plant around the outer edges of this cage.

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 8:27PM
sfallen2002(z5 IA)

It's a bit of work to cut them up into panels, but then they would fold flat for storage. Since I live out in the country I don't worry about my cylinders - just leave 'em out there. move to new location in spring. Just roll one up and secure it, et voila, a tomato cage for the industrial age!

Also since the aren't in a barrel, I have to secure them with a post. Wrapped in plastic they make for easy knock-over, and the tomoato plants can pull them down later in the season.

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 12:45PM
berryman135678

Here's what I made out of Cattle panels, cut them in sections and bent them in half, strong and last long.

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 10:49AM
korney19(z6a Buffalo, NY)

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 1:08PM
korney19(z6a Buffalo, NY)

Here's how I extend them beyond 5ft tall...they act as anchor legs too.

Be sure to study the pic carefully on where to cut & bend so you don't make any mistakes!

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 1:16PM
More Discussions
Human vitamins for plants
I read on here that someone uses vitamins dissolved...
tony_k_orlando
Chestnuts: "Nutgrafting"
Anyone knows the grafting method described in the photo? I...
cumulus_nimbus
Watering with algae
I was wondering if during my rainwater collection process...
Dansdan
Garden Art Sculpture
Hello! It's my first time here and I have no experience...
chloelee
No-Till Method?
Because of a sore back, I've decided to make two new...
Sunny_Sky
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Monterey 34 in. Table Lamp in Bronze wit
Home Depot
Patio Living Concepts Lamps San Juan 34 in. Outdoor Bisque Table Lamp with
Home Depot
Safavieh Area Rug: Austin Red/Creme 4' x 5.6'
Home Depot
Kichler Tremba Dual-Mount 20" Wide Olde Bronze Pendant
Lamps Plus
Gourmet Chef 10-piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set
Overstock.com
Westwood Cherry Laptop Desk
Overstock.com
Classic Pewter Large Foyer Pendant 4-Light