New member, new Aeroponic
hello all, Ive been viewing this forum quite often for gardening tips and finally found time to register.
I'm on week 8 of my first indoor homemade aeroponic system with good results.
I did a lot of research and almost didn't go with this type due to the difficulty level, however I'm glad I did.
it's a bit messy now with all the temporary lighting.
I now know what i will use for lighting just waiting till after Christmas to fit that into the budget.
front row left to right
1.mammoth dill 2 weeks hatched, started in soil
2.mammoth dill one week hatched, rock-wool cube birth
3.cilantro 3 days hatched, rock-wool cube birth
4.green onion 4 days hatched, rock-wool cube birth
middle row L to R
1.first 2 spots left empty for pump clearing
2.cilantro in soil
3.Taco bell Steak XXL nachos container incubator
(steak was ok till I made it to the beans)
4.cilantro hatched in soil and transplanted to the shale stone (did not transplant well, almost a fatality. just recently came back)
last row will be jalapeno and habanero currently hatching in taco bell incubator
the taller green onions were all supermarket produce cut 2 inches above roots and re-planted. they grow about a inch a day and have been cut several times (for supper:) in the last 2 months. the tallest is 23" root system is a healthy 8"
future plans for carrots
will start a mammoth sunflowers early spring in a bubble bucket and hopefully it will stay under control until Wisconsin earth warms up for transplant.
264 GPH Submersible Fountain Pump $13.00
27 gallon tote $14.00
4' 1/2 tubing $3.00
5 spinning style spray heads $7.00
dual output air pump $12.00
air stones and air tubing $4.00
1/2 PVC stand made with roughly 3' of pipe 6 T's 8 elbows to support 1/2 hose with the aid of tie straps $6.00
other cost to consider,
expanded shale media
pH meter or test strips
I found the General Hydroponics brand of chemicals to be the most cost friendly and easiest to follow directions.
and one of the few brands without pot leaf decor on the label. ph up, ph down, flora grow, flora bloom.
also,foam insulation tape for drip proof lid contact surface, permatex blue rtv sealant for sealing water pump power cord.
when I build my final light unit the total cost will be under $50.00 using dryer vent, 8 CFL's 2 dual output sockets 4 Y splitters, 2' of threaded rod, and a light cord.