Cocos coir question

TimosonDecember 3, 2012

Hello,

I want to start a little hydroponic project. I want to buy seeds, and let them germinate in cocos coir. I already have searched for rockwool, but i only found cocos coir. I saw that it's possible to grow seeds in cocos, but i would like to know how i can let them grow. When the're germinated, i want to transplant it to a hydro system i'm going to build by myself.

I hope someone can explain me how i can grow the seeds. I have attachet a picture of the cocos fiber, because i'm not 100% sure if this is the right cocos fiber :).

Thanks for helping me!

Btw. the cocos is normally used in a terrarium as you see..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cole_robbie(6)

Anything that holds moisture can be used to germinate seeds. The "pro-mix" that most greenhouse plants are grown in is almost entirely peat or pine bark fines. Coco is more expensive in bulk, but it does the same thing.

Can you describe the hydro system that you are planning? Is coco coir the intended medium for the life of the plant? You can always just remove a seedling from the coco, wash off the roots, and put it into some other media later.

I would just follow instructions to re-hydrate it and put it into plastic cups with holes in the bottom. The seed itself will contain enough nutrients to sprout. Heat makes it much faster. It's a good idea to have a flourescent light right above the sprouts and a small fan for air movement. After that, you'll need a tiny amount of fertilizer when you water. A drop or two of Alaskan Fish fertilizer would be enough. Coir has no nutrients, but seedlings only need a very small amount of food, so be careful not to over-do it. Organic fertilizers like fish emulsion are much more forgiving if you add too much.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
Exploring the Kratky Hydroponic method for indoor vegetable growi
I've beem OD'ing on Youtube and Garden Web exploration...
delaware
PVC Tower System - Adding oxygen mid-stream
I have built my first hydro system from 4" PVC...
topher_cohen
Started the hydro garden
I watched Bobby grow long enough and got busy. I bought...
radrob
Hydroponics
Hi all! I'm a beginner at hydroponics gardening......
skttls
organic hydroponic ferilizer
I am looking for a good source for organic hydroponic...
little sur farm
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Mohawk Home Rugs Forte Taupe Ivory 8 ft.
$97.00 | Home Depot
Coco Peridot Kidney Pillow
$49.00 | Bellacor
Coco De Mer Bar
| Italy Design
Coco Coral Kidney Decorative Pillow
Overstock.com
Modus City II Freestanding Floor Mirror Pecan
Beyond Stores
Celina Four-Light Dark Rust Island Pendant with Coco Glass
$390.00 | Bellacor
Mist Blue Coco Accent Chair