Ideas for a new garden and new gardener.

DaveFaceApril 25, 2012

Hey everybody,

I am brand new to gardening. I am putting together a garden in my back yard and need some pointers. The yard is on a 20 degree slope and has a creek running through it. My plans are to build some above ground planters out of pressure treated 2 by 6 up to 3 feet tall and line the interior with plastic sheathing. I have a pump already pulling water out of the creek to irrigate the zoysia so I was going to use that to irrigate the garden as well. I haven't tested the water but it is downstream of a few farms so I suspect there are pesticides in it? My plan was to add some sort of filtration on the new pipe from the pump. Do I go with a clorinator and then clay filter or is there any real need for filtration? Do I need to make greenhouse tops for the planters? I was planning on burying pvc in the planters with holes drilled in it to supply the water to reduce evaporation and increase rooting. Is that the correct thing to do?

All advice is greatly appreciated!

I completely forgot to mention I plan on growing vegetables and maybe some grape vines on the hillside. And forgive any misspelling. I am a terrible speller.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Hi Dave, welcome to Gardenweb. I don't have answers to these questions, but wanted to suggest you might get more responses on the organic or Alabama forums. Good luck!

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
Diaper Experiment
I read on container gardening about using stuff out...
ILoveMySoldier
Garden Art Sculpture
Hello! It's my first time here and I have no experience...
chloelee
Growing vegetables in part shade?
Have any of you experimented with growing veges in...
Stephen1
Industrial trimming machine
Actually we do harvest medical marijuana and now we...
ebnulkarimkhan
2015 Planned Experiment w/Epsom Salt
I have seen so many blog sites rave about the use of...
kathleen57
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™