half my plants died.

derek-growDecember 14, 2008

i had all mu plants up to around 2 1/2-3 inches tall in a bubbler i use to sprout them. when i moved them over to the auroponic set up 5 out of 8 died. i have 2 tomato plants and one pepper plant left. right now i believe they are growing thier roots mostly. i figure they wil take off again after they get the roots out some more.

the thing i'm wondering about is why the other 5 plants died. i had them all under a 1000 watt hps and a 400 watt mh. the heat wasn't to high at all. i keep a thermometer on the wall and on top of the hydro units to keep a eye on the temp. it stays at 75. the nutrients are mixxed right.

any ideals?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grizzman

I believe aero systems grow different roots than DWC type systems. you probably gave it too much light too quickly. The plants hadn't converted their root system yet and thus couldn't provide as much water as the leaves transpired.
Well . . That's just my immediate thoughts on it.

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 2:24PM
derek-grow

should i start them off in the auroponic kit first then. would that be the right way to go about it? the roots are just now starting through the rockwool cubes on the ones that lived. i'm using 1 inch cubes. the ph is at 6.2. i have checked everything so far. i started another 8 sets of seeds today. i might just try them in the auroponic set up first this time. i started them under a 150 watt hps. these i'll start under the bigger lights. do you think that will help this time?

Bookmark   December 14, 2008 at 3:43PM
freemangreens(Zone 10 CA)

I think grizzman hit the nail on the head. Further, I suggest you not grow tomatoes and peppers together.

The reason for this is that one is a heavy nitrogen feeder (tomato) and the other is not necessarily (depending on particular cultivar, I'm sure).

Nonetheless, it's been my experience that while each like a slightly more acid medium 5.5 to 6.2 pH, it's hard to maintain both that and a feeding schedule that is useful to each. I'd grow them in separate systems.

Bookmark   December 15, 2008 at 9:26PM
grizzman

I think how you're starting them is fine. When you put them in your aero system, try giving them diffused light or indirect sunlight for a few days to give them time to adapt.
Very similar to hardening off vegetable seedlings to be grown in the dirt.

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 1:49PM
derek-grow

here's a update. i replanted more seeds and let them get up pretty well with roots coming out of the rockwool this time. i moved them from the bubbleponics sprouter and into the auroponic set up. when i went down and looked at them today they are taking off like a house on fire now. plenty of roots and growing great. maybe i did move them to fast last time amd this time i have lost none at all.

Bookmark   December 22, 2008 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
Using Miracle Gro
Has anyone used Miracle Gro (the blue water-soluble...
frangeb
Exploring the Kratky Hydroponic method for indoor vegetable growi
I've beem OD'ing on Youtube and Garden Web exploration...
delaware
Hydroponics
Hi all! I'm a beginner at hydroponics gardening......
skttls
Nutrient Selection
I want to know people's experiences with different...
meenwiz
coco peat as a medium
I have been using cocopeat for a very short while,...
theflgardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™