Best Iris Growers

summerstar(Z7VA)May 18, 2013

I try to get recommendations before I buy plants on line. Which iris growers are you happy with? I've read that Superstition Iris Gardens are great, but they don't have a website. Another good grower only posts on Facebook. I'd sure like to hear from you if you know of a grower with an on-line catalog, has good customer service, and sends nice root stock? Thanks much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
KarenPA_6b

www.bluejiris.com I bought from them last year and all of the bulbs give me blooms this year. I don't know if they are the best but their prices are very reasonable.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 7:14PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

I have used Aitkens on this coast and extremely happy with accuracy and quality.

BlueJ - accurate, excellent prices

Can't remember the others but this link has reliable growers. You may benefit from ordering from a company nearer you as their iris are acclimated to your winters as opposed to Calif. growers.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.irises.org/Resources/Commercial_Ref.html

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 8:58PM
booberry85(5)

Last year I ordered from Schreiner's. I have the biggest iris plants I've ever seen!!! I swear they grew and doubled over the winter. The dwarf I ordered from there already bloomed and put on a good show. I order some other irises from them for gifts and no one has been disappointed.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 9:32PM
brettttt(5b)

Well, I haven't personally ordered from Winterberry, but they're highly regarded and in your vicinity, I think. Their website is great (http://winterberryirises.com/), but it's not an online catalog. $5 gets your their full catalog, which I'm told is really extensive.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 12:28PM
chadinlg

Online I have ordered from Napa Valley iris Garden (CA) and from Mid America Garden (OR) and got great rhizomes.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 1:21PM
slate_stone(z6Tn)

i have ordered from Winterberry and they climate statement is dead on malevil iris garedn has an online catalog and they as well are very professional as well as offering guarentees she also offers some of the finest arilbreds from sharon mcallister rick tasco pete grath

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 1:30PM
littlebit_gw

Malevil Irises has closed due to the drought they are experiencing in that part of Texas. Dana just did the judges training for Region 7 and we talked about that. I was truly sadden to hear it.
I like Rocky Top Garden in Tennessee. He has a catalog on line, but you still have to snail mail the order.There is not a shopping cart option. But great person to deal with.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 10:47PM
madeyna(7/8)

You can,t beat Shreiners . They are spendy but worth it. I have bought from them for the last 8 years . I have been very happy every year.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 3:59PM
jmcdmd

I vote for "Schreiners". Always happy. I order elsewhere only if I'm looking for something specific that they don't carry that particular year.

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 10:04PM
sc_gardener(zone 5)

I have ordered from Iris City gardens online and have gotten very good product and good service.

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 11:11PM
summerstar(Z7VA)

Thanks to all of you for your input. I decided on Schreiner's and ordered some Siberian iris for a wet area near a ditch in our front yard. Their prices are high, but Siberian iris seem to spread well so I figure on splitting them in a couple of years. Happy gardening.

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 3:50PM
More Discussions
iris borers
Last year I had several iris clumps that collapsed...
auntie_grizelda
Seedling
Here is photo of an SDB I have been looking at out...
criris_z8
LA Irises
Started with 4 Iris Bulbs about 4 yrs. ago - noticed...
George Indel
Purchased potted irises at local flower
but it's still cold outside in our Zone 5 area. In...
bellarosa
reblooming irir
Thought I would post a few of my rebloomers. I was...
Nancy zone 6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™