most drought tolerant hydrangea?

RoseAbbeySeptember 10, 2009

We would like to plant hydrangea all around our new cedar gazebo. Which type would you recommend? We would like the most drought tolerant kind so we dont have to water too much around the cedar.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

I wouldn't consider any hydrangea as necessarily drought tolerant - the name "hydrangea" is derived from the Greek words for "water vessel". But if I were to choose, I'd go with H. quercifolia, as it seems to tolerate drier conditions than most other species. It may be marginally hardy for you in zone 5 though.

It could help if you could describe in more detail the setting - compass orientation, degree of shade/sun, etc. Hydrangeas located in shadier areas generally require less irrigation than those situated in full sun.

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 10:06AM
RoseAbbey

Thank you for your reply. The gazebo is open in our backyard and faces all directions, north, east, south and west.We would like to plant all the way around the gazebo. We have other hydrangeas we have planted about 2 months ago. The Niko blue hydrangeas are planted on the west side of the house, gets the hot afternoon sun. At first planting it looked wilted at times but now has grown at least a foot in height and width and many flowers. I thought I had made a mistake in planting them there but it turns out it is good so far but definately needs regular watering. I have other kinds such as pg, cityline paris, royal purple (no flowers yet), pinky winky, merritt's beauty, lacecap, all which I water once a week if we dont get rain. I thought the hydrangeas would look amazing around the gazebo.

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 11:17AM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Once established, the paniculata types are the most drought tolerant hydrangeas

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Difference in Oak Leaf and Macrophylas
I have had both types of hydrangeas and all have had...
seamommy
Should I prune this hydrangea?
It came in a small 4" pot. I have transplanted...
cakbu z9 CA
Limelight and Quick Fire make great companions!
I love how the lime blooms of my Limelight go with...
ostrich
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
Sponsored Products
Couristan 0157-0012 Five Seasons Cream Indoor/Outdoor Rug Multicolor - 015700121
$19.00 | Hayneedle
Mother Poem Personalized Print
$16.99 | zulily
Trilliane Strands Stainless Steel Six-Light Eye Short Flush Mount with Clear Her
Bellacor
Montmartre Arm Chair in Gray
$164.99 | Dot & Bo
Stearns and Foster Lux Estate Collection Luxury Firm Queen Mattress Set
Overstock.com
18-Inch Square Multi-Color Striped Bohemian Cotton Pillow Cover with Poly Insert
$39.60 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™