Blossom End Rot and Dried up Flowers

mattpayne11December 25, 2008

Hi all,

First time tomato grower here... I have BER. I am using rockwool as my medium and I am using advanced nutrients line of products "micro, grow, bloom." The plants are great - huge monsters with tons of blooms - most of which dry up (another issue altogether related to the fact that I'm indoors and humidity, and too much nitrogen I suppose).

What do you all suggest I do to cure this issue? Should I yank the 4 toms that have BER?

How can I ensure that my future fruit dont have BER in my set-up, and how can I ensure that my blooms turn to fruit?

Thank you.

Some photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattpayne11/3135570271/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattpayne11/3136392336/

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tbaleno

I think you can add tums to your water to add calcium. I'm a beginner so I don't know more than that. But if you google tums and ber or blossom end rot you should find some detailed answers.

Bookmark   December 25, 2008 at 5:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gringojay

If you are still trying to decide what to do: go to the drug or health store
& buy calcium gluconate, make a foliar spray ( +/- 1 bottle top diluted in 1 gallon of distilled water).
This will be first aid, if BER due to deficiency, as you try to sort out your nutrient uptake variables. Ugly as blossom end rot is there is no urgency to yank the plants if they can still flower anew.
Make sure to flick/shake/vibrate the flowers so they pollinate. Toms typically produce more flowers than need so they can be selectively eliminated , just like suckers.

Bookmark   December 26, 2008 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
resident Teal 4s For Sale of Illinois
Quentin Townsend is a resident Teal 4s For Sale of...
daserigunimi
coco peat as a medium
I have been using cocopeat for a very short while,...
theflgardener
8 days into hydroponics- helpppp
Hi everyone, First time with hydroponics and first...
Odarka
Hydroponic blueberry, blackberry and raspberry
Hallo, has anybody tried black-, blue- or raspberry...
tomato_tom
Non-profit sustainable farm needs help to re-plumb hydro-system
We had two old hydroponics grow tables both about 4x4...
brettkp808
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™