Clover Mixture for new lawn

sdgeiger(z6-7 PA)May 30, 2007

Hello,

We have a new construction home with only dirt. The borough where we live is giving us a hard time because we don't have grass and that we still have the old "silk" fence that is used to hold back the topsoil runoff, so we're in a bit of a rush, unfortunately.

We haven't decided what to plant for our lawn (we've planted only native trees (fruit), bushes, vegetables thus far). I've heard good things about clover, but we do not want a mono-culture lawn, even though clover is better than traditional lawns (including the chemical lawns that surround us). We've also considered Eco-Lawn, but were not sure if it's native to this area.

Could someone give me an idea of what would make a good mixture of clover and grasses that we could use and where to purchase them? We are looking for native grasses to Southeastern Pennsylvania.

Thanks!

Scott

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Hi Scott - We just did a newly cleared 3 acre area of our property with a 50/50 mix of Red Crimson and White Dutch clovers and then overseeded the area with a short fescue mix. We are very happy with the results. It's attractive and easy to maintain but will need some additional seeding down the line and it can't be mowed as close as the "my lawn is a golf course" neighbors might like. ;) No authority here but I would think all would do well in your area.

Your local county extension office should be a good source of info for you on local natives and sources for them. I found this one article linked below but it sounds like most of them are clump grasses rather than runners such as you would need. I wish you luck.

Check out:

NativeGrasses.com and also Wildflower Farms I have purchased seed from them in the past with good results.

Here is a link that might be useful: PA Native Grasses

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 7:35PM
More Discussions
African Keyhole Gardens
Has anyone made one yet?
rainydaywoman_z8
Alkaline Water
I read an article (from a company that makes alkaline...
hardeng
veggie crosses ... any can be dangerous to taste...?
We often have crazy crosses of the garden things from...
vieja_gw
"brewing underground"
I was thinking of brewing beer or some yeast concoction...
T S
Garden Art Sculpture
Hello! It's my first time here and I have no experience...
chloelee
Sponsored Products
Albern Four Leaf Clover 20" Square Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
American Drew Jessica McClintock Rectangle Silver Leaf Accent Mirror
Beyond Stores
Hand-tufted Artisan Brown Rug (8' x 10')
Overstock.com
Layton Medium Oak Rectangular Coffee Table
Overstock.com
Campania International Leaf Spiller Outdoor Fountain - FT-237 - NATURAL
$889.99 | Hayneedle
Dancing Clover Girl Kitchen Towel
$13.99 | zulily
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™