Can I grow spinach hydroponically?

zzackey(8b GA)December 15, 2011

I love fresh spinach. Can I grow it hydroponically?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grizzman

Getting them to sprout is difficult.
Also, they don't like much heat, so you have to ensure the temperature isn't too high or they'll bolt.

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 8:51AM
zzackey(8b GA)

I just read the seeds need to be in the fridge for two weeks in order to germinate. I'm trying it.

Bookmark   December 16, 2011 at 4:36PM
grizzman

cool.
please let me know if that helps.
Thanks.

Bookmark   December 19, 2011 at 10:10AM
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

"Getting them to sprout is difficult."

?????????????????????????????

Spinach is ideal to grow hydroponically. You would sprout them in rockwool. What kind of system? I happend to be quite familure with hydroponics and can say floating DWC is the best. I know of large scale lettuce operations that are switching from NFT to DWC.

Bookmark   December 31, 2011 at 5:27PM
grizzman

I don't use rockwool, but I've never had much success getting spinach to sprout.
How do you sprout them? what temperature and how long does it take?

Bookmark   January 4, 2012 at 9:17AM
zzackey(8b GA)

What does DWC and NFT mean? I just planted my seeds in the garden after having them in the refrigerator for 2 weeks. They got more cold stratification because the night time temps have been well below freezing the last three nights. My firend said her spinach seeds sprouted fine after being in the refrigerator for a year. I read they needed at least two weeks of cold. I will let you know what happens.

Bookmark   January 4, 2012 at 9:48PM
grizzman

DWC = deep water culture. raft systems are a modification of this system
NFT = nutrient film technique. a thin film of mutrient flows across the bottom of a tray and roots lay on top of that and absorb the nutrient.

Bookmark   January 5, 2012 at 8:41AM
homehydro

Technically I agree with grizzman, but as a clarification the term DWC (deep water culture) is a distinction about how deep the water in their water culture system is. It has become common place to refer to any water culture system as a deep "Water Culture" system.

Though it's really the opposite , and "DWC" is a really modification of the definition of a true water culture system. The word deep is just referring to the water depth. There's where the definition of a water culture system gets blurred (sort of). When it comes to a true water culture system, there is no definition of water depth. They are all defined as a water culture systems. No mater if it's just a couple of inches, or a few hundred feet.

But the term DWC has been so widely used to refer to as any water culture systems, the "D" in the term meaning "Deep" has lost all of it's meaning. And it should be known that "DWC" is just a term for a water culture system that refers to the depth of the water with the "D" standing for "Deep" (meaning not shallow). Like a pool where you have a deep end, and a shallow end. The only difference between the two sides is the depth of the water. The function, and how the pool works remains the same. Same goes for the water culture system, weather it's referred to as a water culture system or a DWC, the function is still the same.

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 7:03AM
citybuddha

When cooling spinach seeds in the refridgerator does one cool just the seeds dry and THEN place in rick wool or cool them in rock wool to germinate the seeds in the fridge?

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 8:10AM
zzackey(8b GA)

Sorry I never answered this old post! No, they didn't sprout. Trying again this year with a seed tape.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 8:46AM
Garland.home

I keep a DWC tank of spinach growing in my basement all the time. The temp. There is a pretty consistent 60. I sprout it in wet coffee filters and then move it to coco fiber. I never had much luck growing it in my greenhouse.

Bookmark   September 12, 2013 at 9:01AM
More Discussions
PonicsPal the latest in hydroponics growth management software & FREE!
http://ponicspal.com Introducing PonicsPal, the latest...
PonicsPal
Switchin on/off cycles and wheather it should be gradual?
Hello, I was recently asked if it effects the plant...
Jeremiah Landi
Lettuce is infected
Can anyone tell me what my lettuce is being infected...
SNosko
cilantro grow questions
I am new to hydroponics and thought i would start with...
morb1lee
Nutrients and PPM
I'm new to hydroponics and have a question. I bought...
amint17
Sponsored Products
Sasha II Habanero Nickel Six-Light Round Pendant
$828.00 | Bellacor
RGB PixelDMX LED Mini Domes RGB-pixeldmx-minidome-30
EnvironmentalLights.com
Tom Dixon | Cell Short Pendant Light
$475.00 | YLighting
Carmel Chandelier by Savoy House
$714.00 | Lumens
Tall Pantry Cabinet
CliqStudios Cabinets