Learning by reading and Doing-- Potatoes

paul98037(WA7Puget Sound)June 19, 2003

Well, I am learning to grow potatoes. The first thing I did wrong was to order from Pinetree. I thought that because I ordered early they would come early and by pleading with them for an Earlier Delivery that ... Well, by the time they got here it was May with is LATE for western Washington. So I will not do that agian. Nice prices -- poor deliver timing.

I started all my my pototes by first letting them develop eyes like in Joy Larkcom books,

I got some kinekbecs local which was a good idea and they are doing good in Tires. They aren't doing good in black plastic bags (per Joy's books).

The Yokon Gold is from PineTree is doing Good in tires.

The Carole a german one from PineTree Rotted on me. I think I planted too deep -- the books say 4 inches. so I did that. This was a change -- before I planted so the eyes just barely saw daylight and then started adding dirt a little at a time then straw. I think I overwatered too. Being new to growing I have the Beginners Motto. If it doesn't look like it is doing well -- give it more water. I got tired of waiting tonight -- so started looking for them and found a bunch of rot.

Thanks for any thoughts:

Paul98037

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Lois1(FL - 9)

They need a root-crop fert like 6-10-10 ie, the last 2 numbers high with trace elements.

To acidify soil if yours need it, periodically add vinegar water [about 1/4 C vinegar to a bucket of water [about 2 1/2gal size]. A bucket would cover 5-6 plants. Repeat since rain would delute it; in clay about every 6-8 wks, sand about every 2 wks. Acid soil prevebts Scab.

Generally, to keep them from getting waterlogged, straw is added to cover them rather than soil to keep them in the dark [they claim the green from light is toxic to people.]

Now if you really want to play- choose 4 to test and 4 as controls. Using the theory that cutting back stimulates root growth, pinch your test plants back about 10% 3 or 4 times during the season. When you dig, take them to the grocery store and weigh each batch -all 8.

Bookmark   July 7, 2003 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Plants that Love Iron/Plants and Furnace Water
My parents furnace has to periodically drained of rusty...
edlincoln
gardening for fulfillment
I USED TO DO A LOT OF GARDENING that is until about...
campingfriends
Watering with algae
I was wondering if during my rainwater collection process...
Dansdan
Alkaline Water
I read an article (from a company that makes alkaline...
hardeng
veggie crosses ... any can be dangerous to taste...?
We often have crazy crosses of the garden things from...
vieja_gw
Sponsored Products
MTI Reflection 2 Tub (65.75" x 35.75" x 23")
Modern Bathroom
Safavieh Noho Grey Linen Nailhead Trim 25.8-inch Counter Stool
Overstock.com
5 ft. Premier Micro Suede King Fuf Foam Bean Bag Sofa - 0005078L
$158.98 | Hayneedle
Sonoma Drexel Chocolate Rectangular: 5 Ft. 3 In. x 7 Ft. 6 In. Rug
$279.00 | Bellacor
Westbury Vintage Floral Shade Brass Swing Arm Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Kenroy Home Sheppard 14 in. Oil Rubbed Bronze Wall Swing Arm 21011ORB
$84.60 | Home Depot
Kevin Plaid Rug 9' x 12' - BLUE