Need Hydrangea ID

botann(z8 SEof Seattle)September 24, 2012

I picked up this Hydrangea at the local supermarket in the florist dept. for my wife. I have had it for several years and it has maintained the pink color even though it's planted in acid soil. It has survived two of our Zone 8 winters with temps as low as the high singles. It came with no ID. Typical in a supermarket.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petchie

that looks like my Forever and Ever Summer Lace. It has remained pink even though everything around it is blue due to the soil. I picked 2 of mine up at the grocery (Price Chopper) and 1 at Lowes, so I know groceries were selling them

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:43AM
gardengal48

Mike, it could also be a variety simply known as 'Pink Lacecap' - pretty creative name, huh?? Actually, I think that is a name assigned to a lot of these florist plants - the vast majority of which are unnamed (and non-patented) varieties.

FWIW, 'Summer Lace' is variable in its coloring due to soil pH - can be blue just as easily as pink. Mike - yours may even be a serrata - these tend to be nearly always lacecaps and I've found their coloring rather stable compared to most macs.

I think sometimes we rush to assign cultivar names to plants which maybe do not deserve them :-) Not all plants are registered cultivars, especially if seedling grown. Other than curiosity, is there a pressing need to ID this plant?

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 5:36PM
Springwood_Gardens(6B Pittsburgh)

I agree; my summer lace looks just like this in structure, right down to the leaf size color and spacing. It only seems to bloom on old wood but is extremely bud hardy.

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 6:46PM
Shineeday(5)

Hi Mike...it looks a lot like my endless summer twist-n-shout ....the flower in the pic shown is a lot darker than the one in my garden...its a pic of a pic! Good luck! Kristine

Bookmark   September 27, 2012 at 8:36PM
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

"I think sometimes we rush to assign cultivar names to plants which maybe do not deserve them :-) Not all plants are registered cultivars, especially if seedling grown. Other than curiosity, is there a pressing need to ID this plant?"
GardenGal

No pressing need to ID the Hydrangea. Guess I've been hanging out in the Conifer Forum too much. ;-)
Thanks for everyone's efforts.
Mike

Bookmark   October 1, 2012 at 12:51PM
Springwood_Gardens(6B Pittsburgh)

Twist n shout has ruddy colored stems and darker leaves. I highly doubt the specimen in the photo would be that.

Bookmark   October 2, 2012 at 7:48AM
More Discussions
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
I assume all is lost. ?
Deer have decimated almost all of my hydrangeas - probably...
luckyladyslipper
Endless Summer Hydrangea Wont Bloom
Hi. I have 2 Endless Summer Hydrangea's. This is the...
emba129
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™