Question about wild grapes

new_b_gardener(8a)June 20, 2012

I walk just about every morning, and I happened upon some wild grape vines growing. I talked to my neighbor and he told me it was possible these were fox grapes. I read up on wild grapes and seen that wild plants are a lot more resistant to pest and viral or fungal problems. Well I thought it would be nice to try and get some cuttings off the vine and attempt to grow it in my yard. My first attempt was a complete failure. I used rootone to try and get some roots growing but unsuccessful. I also attempted to sit it in some water like I have seen my aunts to with ivy cuttings. This too was unsuccessful. So my question is this. What do I need to do in order to successfully grow a cutting of this wild grape vine?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimster(z7a MA)

Try air layering.

Jim

Bookmark   July 23, 2012 at 9:44PM
tess1893(NC 6/7)

You could try covering part of a runner with dirt and after a while, couple weeks or so cutt it loose from the original vine but leave it in the ground where it is and see what happens. If is fox grapes they do not very well in direct sun they do well in part sun/part shade

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 8:26AM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Or you could wait till winter when it goes dormant, and take some dormant cuttings. They are pretty easy to root in spring. Don't know much about the wild ones, but they do make good root stock for grafting a wine or table grape on.

Good luck!

Suzi

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
Human vitamins for plants
I read on here that someone uses vitamins dissolved...
tony_k_orlando
Garden Art Sculpture
Hello! It's my first time here and I have no experience...
chloelee
when and how to plant lupine seeds
I hope I'm in the right spot but I've been trying to...
nicolero21
covering a mound
I have a mound, possibly 35 feet across, and 6 foot...
isaiah6624
2015 Planned Experiment w/Epsom Salt
I have seen so many blog sites rave about the use of...
kathleen57
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™