Growning Asparagus on the coast

orchidbluesJanuary 7, 2009

This is the year I plant a garden! The first purchase consist of 12 asparagus crowns from Lowes. However, after returning home and researching the growing of asparagus on the coast I was met with "does not do well on the coast at all" not a direct quote but darn close. Has any one on the coast had and success with asparagus here? Or, should i do as my mom says and just mail them right on up to her so she can plant them in Arkanas... anyone?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
noss(Zone 9a Lafayette, LA)

Hi, Have you contacted LSU to see about growing asparagus? They think it can be done. I think an asparagus plant was put under my fig tree by a bird and it seems to be doing very well, but I'm not on the coast. It looks very healthy, but it's just a baby and I know nothing about asparagus growing, other than if it's grown by seed, you can't harvest anything from it for several years. Because this baby was gifted to me, I want it to live if possible, but it needs to be put into its own bed. I'm wondering if I should put it into a pot for a couple of years first.

Good luck with your quest. Keep us posted.

noss

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 2:58AM
More Discussions
When to seed new lawn with Centipede?
We had our new house lot graded with fresh dirt in...
skb3_br
blueberry or blackberry ? (or muscadine?)
hi all i am in Southern Louisiana, outside of NOLA i...
greenman62
Has anybody else seen purple dragonflies?
Hi! I was drinking my coffee by the koi pond this morning...
taffyj
Planting a Live Oak
Hi... I'm new to the forum, and I hope you welcome...
nolawed
Full Sun Shrubs
I have tried two years in a row to get some shrubs...
daviddsims
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™