Chlorosis

georgez5il(z5 IL)June 6, 2007

I have a pin oak suffering from chlorosis caused not by a shortage of iron in the soil but because the soil is NOT acid enough. Have used mouget injection & adding a mixture of sulfur & fertilizer applied around the drip line.

My question is will the application of Aluminum sulfate (disolved in water) applied around the drip line of the tree.... be a lasting solution to the problem

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smallaxe

For Blueberries the Aluminum Sulfate is considered to be a quick fix and and short lived , while a sulfer powder or granule is for the long term and slower.
At least that is what I have been told over the years.

Perhaps some Miracid type product sprayed through a hose onto the foliage may give it a little help as well.
Good luck, .rick.

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 10:19AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

How did you determine that the problem was pH and iron? For example how did you determine that it was not Mn? How did you determine that the iron would be available and utilized if the pH were adjusted?

Bookmark   June 10, 2007 at 1:36PM
victor_applesmash(7b)

You could try mulching with pine straw.

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 12:47AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

george, there is no lasting solution for this issue. Once someone decides to grow a plant that is not suited to the pH of the surrounding soil, then they pretty much have to attend to that issue for the life of the plant. pH adjustments are NEVER long term. ;-(

Pin Oaks are notorious for this problem, and it could be a frustrating issue for you.

What IS the pH of your soil, by the way? Let's hear how much of a challenge you have.

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 2:35PM
More Discussions
warming cable underground?
I'm in zone 6, and of course would like to grow plants...
rredbbeard
Alkaline Water
I read an article (from a company that makes alkaline...
hardeng
Chili gardening from bottles to ground spacing.
I dug holes 10'' deep with buld planting shovel, fill...
ollo
sunflower house
Hi! Still snowy and freezing here in MI, but I'm working...
samhain10
Recycling a recycling container
...might be a garbage container. Whatever it is/was,...
browsercat
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™