a ? about round up

gardnpondr(Zone 8)July 1, 2006

I have a spot that I want to do a butterfly garden out of and it is full of weeds and grass. A friend of mine said I could round up it all and then go right then and til it up and plant my butterfly plants and the round up would not hurt my new plants. I wanted to MAKE SURE about this before I did it because I have lots of money in all of these plants. Has anyone ever done this before and went right then and planted your plants? TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosiew(8 GA)

I can't speak to your question about residual Roundup but must comment. Roundup doesn't work instantly, or in a day. I often don't see a complete reaction until the tenth day. The chemical in it, glysophate, needs to be carried through leaves/grasses to the root system. When everything browns, then you till.

Your plants will be fine in their pots with adequate watering while you get the bed prepared.

HTH, Rosie

Bookmark   July 2, 2006 at 10:18AM
watershed

Yes Round-up takes time. According to the promo materials, it is Inactivated by soil contact.

And Yes it is the Best Broad spectrum Killer, that you can buy OTC.

Personal Pet Peeve; Thgose who sell Instant Prairies etc, should include photos of the Seeds as the germinate and grow. So people don't pull them, OR end up with a batch of Canadian Thistle for their Caution.

Greg

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 11:48PM
gardnpondr(Zone 8)

Thanx you two!

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
Watering with algae
I was wondering if during my rainwater collection process...
Dansdan
Growing vegetables in part shade?
Have any of you experimented with growing veges in...
Stephen1
warming cable underground?
I'm in zone 6, and of course would like to grow plants...
rredbbeard
Industrial trimming machine
Actually we do harvest medical marijuana and now we...
ebnulkarimkhan
when and how to plant lupine seeds
I hope I'm in the right spot but I've been trying to...
nicolero21
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™