Tree fungus?

SuzieQLaJanuary 2, 2005

My husband and I have been trying to find out what kind of tree we have, or if the tree is just a weedy elm and is infested with some kind of disease. Almost all of it's branches are covered with a woody substance that make it's branches look like wings. Husband calls it a "Winged Elm", but I have my doubts. Looks like a problem to me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

Winged Elm is a very nice native, valued by those who know what they are. I'm not especially knowledgeable about them, tho' I have seen one or two, and have them on my list of 'to get'. Of course without a picture it's a little hard to tell if that's what it is!

Bookmark   January 4, 2005 at 9:38PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I should have said, I know it's hard for some of us to believe, but husbands aren't always wrong! He may know more than you think!

Bookmark   January 4, 2005 at 9:41PM
SuzieQLa

Can we post pictures on this site?

Bookmark   January 9, 2005 at 10:32AM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

Well, I can't--don't even have a camera--but I think it's possible if you know what you're doing (which obviously I don't) Now that you bring it up, I don't remember seeing pictures at least very recently, but I don't see why not.

Bookmark   January 9, 2005 at 7:40PM
janet_la(z8b Louisiana)

If you have your pictures stored on a photo hosting site like Picturetrail (there are others, but I don't remember their names), you can insert a picture into your post. Some sites already have this put together for you, but if not, it goes like this:
(img src=insert the url here) except you replace the () with . Here's a sample:

I believe there is also a way to post directly from your computer, but I never learned that method. Hope this helps!

Bookmark   January 10, 2005 at 1:48PM
gardnpondr(Zone 8)

Our fruit trees has some kind of stuff like this on them. Or from the way you describe it, it sounds like the same stuff. When the apple tree was young, DH got out there and scraped it off with his knife and the next summer it was right back on there.

Bookmark   January 17, 2005 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
Is it time to plant Four O'Clock seeds?
I bought a package of mixed color seeds that I want...
janet_la
Ground cover
I need a good ground cover that can be walk on.I thought...
jim2k
Anyone grow Almonds or English Walnuts?
I am near Baton Rouge, and thinking of planting some...
mmckey2
Any awesome nurseries near New Orleans???
In about a week, I will be going to New Orleans. Even...
LullabyF360
Was this past winter harsh in Miss/ Louisiana?
You guys are about as southern as possible, but did...
poaky1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™