Too late to Fertilize??

jas4141(Zone 5)September 8, 2012

My hydrangeas have had a very stressful summer. I've lost a few and some are struggling to survive. I'd like to add a mild dose of fertilizer to give them a little boost but not sure if it's too late in the season.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

I normally suggest not fertilizing after the July-August time period if you are using a slow-release fertilizer. Something like liquid fish or liquid seaweed would be ok since they contain small amounts of nitrogen but I would rather prep the plants for dormancy and give them a boost in Spring 2013.

You could add a little of muriate of potash if you want. It normally has no/little nitrogen and is a good source of pottasium, which is good for the roots. I would not worry about the leaves since the growing season is close to being over in cold zones like yours. Not recommended if your soil has a high chloride content.

The goal is to make sure that the plants go dormant when they are supposed to be dormant and nitrogen prevents that if you apply large quantities of it.

Do remember that plants that are stressed should not be fertilized so unless your soil is defficient in some minerals, do not worry about fertilzing again. I have had years where I did not add fertilizers at all and yet could not tell the difference; the only thing I had to do was amend the soil to keep the soil pH in check.

Bookmark   September 8, 2012 at 3:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jas4141(Zone 5)

Fish emulsion would be ok, then.....have that. Just want to nourish/strengthen them a bit before they go dormant. I have a couple that have almost died but have little sprouts coming from the soil surface.

Thanks, Luis.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
I assume all is lost. ?
Deer have decimated almost all of my hydrangeas - probably...
luckyladyslipper
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
Sally6340
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™