Very strange-looking!

wodkaJanuary 7, 2009

I will try to describe it as best I can, and if I see more, I'll take a picture and post, but here's the deal.

Over the last month or so, including today, I have come across the strangest looking "growth" in the woods near our house - the likes of I've never seen before. The base of it looks like a soft white egg, sometimes single, sometimes a cluster of small "eggs." When this egg ripens, these bright orange tentacle looking things grow out of it? Whatever it is, it attracts insects of some kind, so it's almost like it's alive. Totally gross and disgusting looking.

Any ideas? I brought my husband out to look at them and he wouldn't get near them. Brave man, huh.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
turtle_lover(9 LA)

yuck.. i have a problem with those in one of my gardens. It's a fungus. And boy do you want to get it out before it opens. They smell horrible!

Clathrus crispus

The "eggs" grow under leaves that fell in the fall (dark moist place
I remove them by handone at a time and shovel them into a plastic bag and throw them away. I'd wash your utensils afterwards too.

Here is a link that might be useful: mushroomexpert.com

Bookmark   January 8, 2009 at 6:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wodka

turtle lover, thank you so much! That is exactly what I have - in fact, looking on the mushroomexpert.com website, mine is the clathrus columnatus. I haven't smelled mine yet - but when my stomach calms down - ha- I'll go out and check for more.

Thanks, again, and good luck with yours!

Bookmark   January 9, 2009 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
Full Sun Shrubs
I have tried two years in a row to get some shrubs...
daviddsims
Weed Control New Lawn
Hello! I planted a centipede lawn from seed at the...
BrittWave1
Lake Charles fruit/citrus trees
Hi all, I'm in Lake Charles (zone 9). I am in the process...
rockydog101
How to get rid of elephant ears?
I know these can be really nice plants(and I'm sure...
Gumbo
Do your snaps bloom in winter?
Hi, folks. It's pansy planting time here, and as I...
donnabaskets
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™