How do I tell where next year's flower buds are set on my ES?

ostrich(3a AB)September 7, 2008

Is this possible at all, at this stage in zone 5? Anyway, I have these questions on flower buds on Endless Summer:

1. Are they those little growth at the internodes?

2. If I prune certain branches or stems now, will it promote the other stems to get more flower buds?

3. If I deliberately prune the stems with the flower buds now, will it make the remaining stems with the flower buds have bigger blooms next year?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ditas

Hi Ostrich -
I was wondering similarly, but on my old Nikko rather than ES. I've been observing closely as she behaved quite strangely, this season (despite a much better over-wintering & canes survival). Just today I found those little fat buds (at the nodes/petiole joints) very likely, our overnite temps dropping to 50s-upper 40s & lower temps lingering through noon, must have summoned them!

Glyn Church's chapter 9 covers thoroughly the subject of pruning - when & how (diagrams included) even distinguishes between the fat buds which holds the 'flower heads' & the smaller 'growth buds'. Your ??? will be answered to satisfaction, plus more!

I recently purchased Glyn's book for a gift & read through/took notes on pruning. Dirr's chapt.12 on pruning is not as detailed. You might want to get your hands on this book. Amazon has the more recent edition - I'm sure & should include pruning chapter as well.

BTW Glyn says to prune in Winter or Spring - I guess if you do now those buds might just decide to emerge!

Good luck!

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 11:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ostrich(3a AB)

Thanks, ditas!

I took a chance and did an experiment this year. I basically pruned right after the blooms in July. Then I pruned last week some entire branches of my ES with these swelling buds (didn't know whether they were flower buds or not though.... yes, I need that book!!!). I wondered if that would promote the remaining buds to become bigger blooms next spring. In any case, the plant is less dense and has more space for air circulation. I can't wait to see how things turn out!

Bookmark   September 12, 2008 at 12:15AM
More Discussions
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
Endless Summer Hydrangea Wont Bloom
Hi. I have 2 Endless Summer Hydrangea's. This is the...
emba129
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™