Little Limelight in N, TX

gardeningartist1September 1, 2013

I am not new to growing Hydrangeas but have only grown Mac's & Oakleafs. I purchased Little Limelight at a grand opening of our newest & only local nursery. I have very light & sandy loam but am fortunate to have a water well for irigation

My Macs & OL's grow in mostly shade. Does anyone have experience growing LL in N. TX?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Hello, gardeningartist1. The leaves of H. arborescens and H. paniculatas require morning sun and afternoon shade in the summer months. Otherwise, the leaves in direct contact with the sun will suffer from sunscald. Find a similar location for Little Lime. Since our temps are in the 100s, you may want to keep it in the container (somewhere in 24/7 bright shade) and plant it when we drop for the 100s (I never plant anything here from July-August... if I can help it). Luis

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 5:02PM
gardeningartist1

Thanks Luis. Do they require as much water as the Macs or do you know? I too avoid planting in this heat. It is just brutal out there.

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 5:47PM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Yes, same amount of water if they happen to be about the same dimensions. It is best to water the soil early in the mornings, from the root ball moving outwards. Maintain about 3-4" of mulch (year around) up to or past the drip line to help conserve soil moisture.

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 6:55PM
gardeningartist1

Got it, thanks for the help.

Bookmark   September 2, 2013 at 8:51AM
More Discussions
When to plant new hydrangeas? Zone 7
Hello! I had a new patio put in this fall and want...
Lrw2a
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
Kristin
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
Pruning Hydrangeas
Should I prune my hydrangeas this spring?
kgibbs25
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™