When is the best time to move a Hydrangea?

prairiemoon2 z6 MASeptember 7, 2009

I am getting ready to move a Hydrangea among other shrubs. I move things a lot. [g] This will be the second time for this particular Hydrangea. I forget when the best time to move it is? I was hoping to do so this fall, but thinking it is too early? Should I wait until it is dormant? If I do, that doesn't leave it as much time to establish, right?

I would appreciate any input, thanks.

Oh...also, when I do move it, should I cut back the foliage or leave it alone until next spring?

Thank you! :-)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ditas

The experts' rule-of-thumb is during dormant period, in the Fall or early Spring before they wake up.

Before I knew any better, I've moved a few beauties around (at less than ideal times) as long as I get the entire root ball & with a lot of TLC ... moved 2 ESs 3x, F&E 2x, 2 Serratas in late Spring... they were young & it was easy to dig up the entire ball as if I was just moving a huge pot from 1 spot to a better one (I was blest!) ... DON'T follow my ignorant lead, unless you won't mind losing you beauty.

I have an old Nikko I'm thinking to move, but fear the risk of losing 2 stems, on ground-layering status since 1st of June. If I toughen my chicken nature, I might still ... around mid-Nov ... & cross fingers/talking to Hydrangea gods all Winter!!! LOL

A very old shrub would be difficult to move w/out some damage to roots!

Experts will be responding soon! Good Luck!

Bookmark   September 7, 2009 at 9:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lsimms(6a-6bMA)

I've had good luck with spring. Feel like the plant is primed and ready to go then...all you need to do is add the right environment. I've severely manhandled some hydrangeas in the spring with not a one lost.

Bookmark   September 10, 2009 at 6:00PM
More Discussions
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™