Strawberry-Vanilla Hydrangea

walterdavidwilsonSeptember 30, 2012

I planted a strawberry-vanilla hydrangea (forgot the French name)earlier this year, and it failed to get a single bloom. The plant is vigorous but no blooms. It gets morning sun and afternoon shade. Developer says it will bloom in either sun or shade. Any idea why it didn't bloom this year? Thanks. Dave.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Dunno.....ours at the nursery are in full bloom even in a nursery container :-) IME, paniculatas like Strawberry Vanilla are very sun tolerant. All of mine are grown in full sun. It may be that yours would prefer more sun than it is currently receiving to bloom well.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 5:57PM
Cher(6 SW OH)

The first year I had mine which was a smaller one, it did not bloom. The next year it had several blooms, this year it had blooms all over it and it's still not mature, so I would give it time.
Cher

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 5:59PM
walterdavidwilson

Thanks for your comments, Cher, and gardengal. I may have to move it, as it planted between two other hydrangeas. I will move it to a sunnier location, and where there is more room to grow. As it gets larger (more mature), maybe it will have more flowers. I will probably not prune it this fall.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 7:18PM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

I would give it one more year before moving it, after all, these guys get forced to bloom and grow at unnatural times of the year so maybe something the wholesaler did resulted in no blooms. Hopefully, it will resume to blooming at its natural time next year.

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 7:46PM
sandyinva(7A)

Sometimes the first year of planting, the energy of the plant goes into root development. Give it more time before moving it. I have found this to be true with bloomning trees. They might be covered with blossoms when you see them, but the next year, you are lucky if you have a few. The following year ususally does not disappoint.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
So Cal Hydrangeas growth is stunt
Hi, I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern...
nikole220
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™